Main page Poll (1 Viewer)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
So what're your thoughts on the new polling system? :)

And they say we don't listen to the people! Pah. :p
i like it!
but it said i had voted when i hadn't :confused:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by iambored
but it said i had voted when i hadn't :confused:
Hmmm... it prevents duplicate votes on the basis of your IP address (kind of like a unique label you get when you connect to the net). If you were accessing at school, the IP address would probably be the same for every computer, and someone else might have already voted. Or, someone else using the same ISP as you had your IP address last time they connected up, and they voted.

Most people should be able to vote. :p

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
How jipped! :p I was thinking "pwhoar I could vote for UWS a zillion times! YEAH!", but noooooo! Damn you Lazman! *waves fist*

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
Hmmm... it prevents duplicate votes on the basis of your IP address (kind of like a unique label you get when you connect to the net). If you were accessing at school, the IP address would probably be the same for every computer, and someone else might have already voted. Or, someone else using the same ISP as you had your IP address last time they connected up, and they voted.

Most people should be able to vote. :p
haha it's pretty funny actually.. who's connecting with the same addy as me?? coz this arvo, i was on the main site, and i could vote, but i decided not to. so anyway, i just went back after reading your message and obviously someone has voted coz now it says i have already voted!!

it doesn't matter, it's just funny.. next time i'll get in first

Huy

HSC
N/A
If you're connecting through proxy, then virtually anybody on the same network can vote before you do, and the vote will only count once. If you were really desperate to "rig" the poll, you can get yourself a list of http proxy servers and vote to your heart's content, connecting via differing IPs (other countries, locations, .mil, .gov, .edu, .nz, .co.jp, all the american dsl/cable isps, sweden you name it) and visit boredofstudies and start voting, but that is... of course, if you're THAT insistent on rigging the poll :)

Or, if you're on broadband, you can start switching NICs around and re-configuring routers and your TCP/IP stack, or forcing ISPs to dish out dynamic IPs for you via DHCP servers and scripts (taking advantage, yes... :p)

But as for iambored, if you're on dialup, then that's even better, one vote per day, from a non-static (dynamic) IP, voting all the time. Again, a proxy (scan them, get your own list, do whatever you want) to get a socks 4/5/http one and you can pretty much remain anonynmous -- it'll be the "real" owner of the IP who gets the blame for "using up" votes :D

*shuts up* :)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Or, if you're on broadband, you can start switching NICs around and re-configuring routers and your TCP/IP stack, or forcing ISPs to dish out dynamic IPs for you via DHCP servers and script
Switching NICS.... omg as if someone would go to an extent to do that :p

3 reasons why this won't work too well.

1) Admins can actually find out :)
2) You can see an unusually high amount of votes or many votes at one time.
3) Seriously, who would do that? :D

Or you could pay Laz $1000 and you can get mods :p easy way in

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ragerunner
3 reasons why this won't work too well.

1) Admins can actually find out :)
2) You can see an unusually high amount of votes or many votes at one time.
3) Seriously, who would do that? :D

Or you could pay Laz $1000 and you can get mods :p easy way in
Hahaha!

They are still options!
Admins can find out, but not if you isolate the votes to NSW solely :) You can't tell if someone on an aussie ISP visits BOS, is within NSW and votes for <whatever> :)

Not that I have ever done this...
Unusually high votes? Careful planning and execution!
Many votes at the same time? You wouldn't be able to automate this process, everything would be manual, so that you would have to essentially re-configure/re-do everything to start fresh, everytime you wanted to "become" someone else/using a different IP.

Who would do that?
Not me! :D
But if I was bored enough... yeah, that would be funny to see ANU as #1 uni or something.

I don't have $1000 :)
And if I wanted to be moderator, I can ask/apply heheheh!
Save myself the one grand.

Originally posted by Rahul
good idea:p :D
Will do! :)
*Zips lips*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)