Major in Physics/Psychology -- must we take their first year courses? (1 Viewer)

Pyramid

HSC
I'll be starting Commerce/Science at UNSW this semester. I want to keep alive my prospects of majoring in Physics/Psych for Science.

Now, my plan for first year is to try as much Commerce as possible. Then I will decide whether to keep on with Commerce or to drop/transfer. Unfortunately, the Phys/Psych major plans get in the way of that -- a Physics major requires four first-year courses, and Psych requires two.

So, six of my eight first-year courses are taken by Science, leaving only two Commerce courses (and my "try as much Commerce plan" to the wind). What I ask is whether I absolutely must take those Phys/Psych courses to keep their respective majors alive. Are combined Science students exempted from this requirement? I won't even have room for all 3 Commerce cores!

FYI:
Physics major: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2011/PHYSB13529.html
Psych major: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2011/PSYCA13529.html

UncoKane

Huzzah!
HSC
Uni Grad
Uhhhh... in a double degree you usually do a lot of first-year subjects in second year too... you can put some of those science subjects in second year and do the major over a longer period of time.

How long's your degree? 4 or 5 years?

You're not restricted to doing first year courses only in your first year lol...

Last edited:

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
I understand what you are saying. Its probably as the above poster says, but just send an email to Student Central and the science faculty (BCC them both) to check - the science faculty is often slow to reply.

Pyramid

HSC
Uhhhh... in a double degree you usually do a lot of first-year subjects in second year too... you can put some of those science subjects in second year and do the major over a longer period of time.

You're not restricted to doing first year courses only in your first year lol...
If we look at: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/unde...HYSB13529.html

Plan Structure
For a MAJOR in Physics, successful completion of the following courses is required.

Year 1
* MATH1131 Mathematics 1A (6 UOC)
* MATH1231 Mathematics 1B (6 UOC)
* PHYS1121 Physics 1A (6 UOC)
* PHYS1221 Physics 1B (6 UOC)
^^^ As it says, those courses must be completed in Stage 1, which (by the UNSW glossary) means first year. I just find it ludicrous that I should use 4 of 8 first year courses in a double degree just to keep one major alive.

---

How long's your degree? 4 or 5 years?
4 years.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
I don't see anything which says you have to complete those courses in year 1. From what I read its just that you have to complete those generally first year (althoguh not necessarily, you cna take them whenever - although be warned, many courses will have them as pre requisites) as part of the units required to obtain the major/science degree.

Pyramid

HSC
I don't see anything which says you have to complete those courses in year 1. From what I read its just that you have to complete those generally first year (althoguh not necessarily, you cna take them whenever - although be warned, many courses will have them as pre requisites) as part of the units required to obtain the major/science degree.
What did you read? If you read my quoted passage from the Physics page, it looks as though "successful completion of the following courses is required" in "Year 1".

UncoKane

Huzzah!
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol, no you don't!! I do a double degree and I'm doing three majors all spread out over the four years. I'm in my third year now and I'm still doing a first year subject.

Call them if you don't believe me... double degrees would be impossible if you were restricted to do subjects like that...

When they say Year 1, Year 2, Year 3, that's for a typical science degree, which you're not doing!

Pyramid

HSC
Lol, no you don't!! I do a double degree and I'm doing three majors all spread out over the four years. I'm in my third year now and I'm still doing a first year subject.
You go to USYD. Me, UNSW.

When they say Year 1, Year 2, Year 3, that's for a typical science degree, which you're not doing!
I don't think so. That Physics plan I quoted, for example, is named "PHYSB13529". It's page says that it's specifically under the "3529 - Commerce/Science" program.

Sorry that I'm being so stubborn :p. I'll email UNSW.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
You can do them whenever you want. I do Comm / Engg and am doing Comm subjects this sem even though it is advised not to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)