Major problems and Degree issues (1 Viewer)

the Uncanny

HSC
I'm enrolled in commerce/science but i'm considering commerce/economics. The next issue is i don't know what to major in. 2009 is my second year at UNSW. I did the following subjects in first year:
Acct1501
Math1151
Math1081
Econ1101
Acct1511
Econ1201
Actl1001
Math1251

I've passed all of them. I'm leaning towards actuarial, finance, psychology, mathematics, economics and computer engineering (under science). To decide the major what sort of thought process should i put in. Interest major + Job major or easy major + hard major, etc. To be honest i don't actually know where i want to go. Actuarial is hard and hardly interesting, finance is neither hard nor interesting (from what i've seen and done), haven't done psych or comp. engineering but they sound interesting, economics is boring but easy.

Any suggestions and advice is always helpful. I need to pick subjects by thursday evening. I'll post what i've chosen by friday.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
So basically, you want us to decide your life for you, because you can't make decisions on your own.

the Uncanny

HSC
uhawww said:
So basically, you want us to decide your life for you, because you can't make decisions on your own.
Not a bad intepretation but no. I'm just want advice on these subjects i'm looking at. Like what is actuarial like in 2nd year, is psych really that interesting, etc. I want to see what other people's perspective is on these subjects and i have a better idea of what each major is like. I can then make a decision on what major to do. For example i read somewhere that finance has very poor lecturers so i might take into account that. The problem with me was that in high school i didn't have much interest in anything. I picked com/science because i did well in the HSC because of those subjects. I was hoping this would clear up by the end of first year but sadly it hasn't.

Last edited:

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
If you don't know what to do, pick something generic.

fat_penguin

HSC
I think you're just going to have to try out some subjects and see what suits you. Unfortunately that's a waste of degree space, as I very well know. Seriously though, psychology is about the most interesting thing you could study imo, but I know others who think it's really, really boring. So honestly, you will probably just have to try these things out and see what suits you!

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
touche haha. well how about in the commerce degree? because i know a lot of people who are doing a single major in commerce and then psychology as their sole major in science.

fat_penguin

HSC
technically i think there is enough units for you to do two commerce majors, but they only allow you to pick one anyway so there's no real point. *shrug*

Edit: it's interesting to hear about the math and statistics double major though - had no idea you could do that!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)