Major Project Idea, good? (1 Viewer)

akataylor

HSC
N/A
Ok. So my MDP is about to be given to me, we've been told to start on ideas.

I love cars, always have. Been drawing them since I was 5, aspire to be a car designer. Yes, that's the dream for a lot of 17 year old boys, I realise that.

Anyway, on the MDP, my idea is to design a hybrid sports car. It will be Australian engineered, and I will design it on a CAD package, as well as creating an ad campaign to go with it, think TV ads and promo posters etc. A scale model of it will also be created too.

I do DT multimedia (which means basically using computers all the time). I'd be using 3ds max 9, the adobe suite (after effects, premier pro, photoshop, indesign etc.) I've gotten resonably good at these programs, I wouldn't do use them if I wasn't.

I've chosen to go with a hybrid sports car because it addresses the fuel crisis we're having, and also global warming, and it is aimed at a unique market where no car as such exists yet, especially in Australia.

So, good idea or not?

Thanks

Foreshadowed

HSC
Hmm, sounds pretty good to me.

Be sure to do plenty of research on sustainability and the fuel crisis and relate that to your brief.

Btw, keep an up to date diary.

As in, start writing in it now :/ Don't neglect it lol (I did and I was going to fudge it 3 hours before my MDP was due but I gave up because I pulled an all-nighter and I was dead tired)

Good luck with it =) I used CAD as well, and it's bloody frustrating when you can't get something to work >>

Oh yeah, for your project proposal you should put your interest down as your motivation for this project, as well as future career path, honing computer skills, developing extensive CAD skills for future employment prospects etc.

bocaj4224

HSC
Not sure it's so great. Our teacher was really big on woodwork, and it sounds like lots of the markers are. That, or home eco teachers. They don't like highly technical things according to him, and he was a marker for a long time. You'd have to really explain, and show that you understand everyting about how it works.Good job thinking now though, i did last year but most people did't, and really struggled.

Foreshadowed

HSC
^hmm, really? The powerhouse exhibitions had a huge variety of projects ranging from a poster, a cushion set, a cup set, dresses, suits, houses, etc...

I don't remember seeing any woodwork though :s I don't think it matters so much what you do, but how you go about doing it and how well you've documented it.

On the presentation...markers could be put off by videos, so don't make it too long. Oh, and make your video readily accessible. As for myself, I embedded the video onto a website so the presentation of my project was web-based. The advantage of this is that it's user friendly, and almost everyone knows how to navigate through a website. Plus, it's quite straight forward for those who are inexperienced.

Just my 2 cents XP

edit: had a weird typo lol

bocaj4224

HSC
Wasn't saying i'm right, just repeating what i was told. he marked some really technical things and gave low marks because he didn't understand/didn't believe the student understood or something like that. Might be ok if you document really well, just make sure you're careful.

mattchis

HSC
that sounds like it cold be really good...id go for it if i were you - i stuffed mine up i think :p to many techniqual problas that only emerged during the final testings >_>

akataylor

HSC
N/A
Thanks guys for the input.

I was beginning to worry because a lot of people have been asking what I've been doing and when I tell them they don't really say "wow" or seem to like it all that much..

By the way, that tv ad is only going to be like 40-50 seconds or something, about that of a normal ad. It's gonna take a lot of work though...

I go to Barker, apparently the standard is really high here. But I haven't seen anything been done like this before for a MDP, and I thought it would be cool.
Orignally my idea was a sustainable house, but after learning how many people had done that...:mad1: Also, I don't like ArchiCAD anymore.

I think my target market would be celebrities, young professionals and people going through mid life crisis's. I mean, what are the two types of cars that celebrities drive? Sports cars/SUV's and hybrids. Why not combine them? Young professionals and people going through mid life crisis's buy the sports cars too, why not make them more economical?

We got briefed today. Started already. Good tips too, thanks everyone for those.

Last edited:

Foreshadowed

HSC
^haha, really? What's wrong with archiCAD? It's free, I used the educational version ;o

I designed a sustainable house too though so yeah I guess it is overdone. But I guess it's okay if your project is outstanding or something :s

Wow good job for starting early. I cannot stress how important it is to make consistent progress on your MDP. I learnt the hard way though. I completed 80% of my portfolio in the last two weeks and I even skipped school to do it.

http://wingedhouse.site40.net/

You can see my project here if you're interested.

Hmm, good luck doing your target market research o_O'' Who're you going to interview or get to complete your survey?

akataylor

HSC
N/A
Oh, I'm just sick of ArchiCAD. I do quite like it because it's really easy to use and the renders are quite nice, but I've used it a lot for my last couple of projects and I'm sick of it now. Time to move on.

Market research? :p Gonna be a little hard to find celebrities, I'll give it a go though! Plenty of people for the mid life crisis type (e.g. my dad and my friend's dads) and the young professionals demographic should be easy to come by I think.

I've put a fair bit of time into the idea generation and I'd written a whole lot of my ideas down and done a little bit of background research so I could hit the ground running with I got given the MDP. Want to get it pushed over early so I can worry about stupid, stupid Ext Japanese...

Your house looks great by the way, good luck with your results!

Last edited:

Bart08

HSC
Look what your proposing to do is alot of work. I know Multimedia is probably your focus but remember that you probably have 4 or 5 other subjects and they're all pretty demanding. Multimedia, and English are probably the two hardest subjects i did this year, and most demanding.

I chose to do a magazine publication, its pretty good used photoshop, illustrator, in design, cinema 4d. And basicly the niht before i was still up til 4am finishing my folio that bitch was 260pages +.

You can make the project as complicated as you want, but you have to have to step by step in the folio to demonstrate that you did actually make it.

The 3d houses were done by about 3 people in my year, another did a guitar shop with guitars, another did a sailing boat, - all done in cinema 4d or blender (one kid and his looked the best....so its not all about flashy software).

What im saying is the idea is good, im sure your convinced you can do it, im not doubting the skill, im doubting if you can do it this year, and cope, and pay attention to all your other subjects.

my three dollars

brentian

HSC
Hey! I am doing either a new back decking, which is about a $12,000 project with it's current size and everything, or a big catering event- in which I would be designing a 6 course meal for about 50 people, half of them wheat or glucose intolerant (Already have proposed guest list) One of them needs wheel chair access, so it should work either way, otherwise I'm stuffed!:rofl:

Cob-was-here

HSC
Lol don't worry what people think. Everyone said mine wouldnt work but it did and it worked better than proposed. Just WORK ON IT CONSTANTLY (FOLIO AND PROJECT)

akataylor

HSC
N/A
Mmm it is gonna be a crapload of work, you're right.

I work on my Dt stuff fairly hard and fast though. I should be able to get it done quickly enough so that I can concentrate on my other subjects. I've got holidays in which I'll do a lot of my work too.

Thanks for your input everyone, no doubt it'll I'll be posting up aspects of it when it's near completion/finished.

temple

HSC
work constantly
document EVERYTHING
cover all aspects
as long as theres some good research and you make it clear i'm sure you could do well

make sure you say why either its better than existing products or why its innovative

whatever you do, don't leave it late, it takes 3 times as long as you think it will...
and by the sound of your job there could be alot of work in it..

good luck

akataylor

HSC
N/A
Well, 6 months down the track, and I'm getting there.

:)

I'm doing a bit of evaluation at the moment, and I'd like to post some stuff here for a little bit of feedback.

All of my stuff is still in progress (especially the "advertisements", but any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

For those un-aware, my project is based on the idea of an ecologically friendly sports car, using the Scuderi Air-Hybrid engine (uses compressed air technology to significantly aid a standard combustion engine, thus increasing effciency whilst lowering emissions), eco materials such as hemp fibres and bamboo resin plastics, and also solar technology to help power electronics.

It's simply a prototype or an "idea", and is accompanied by a marketing campaign to appeal to my target market of young professionals, all the way up to the middle aged.

(Edit 11th August, 2009) Ads (but not all of them just yet) can be found via YouTube at the moment. Check here: http://www.youtube.com/user/batmanscoolness

Thanks.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)