• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Major Work Research (1 Viewer)

krystalp

HSC
yeh. its a bitch....i think i'll hand in ashes of my assignment that originally went for 8000 words, and see if my 'originality' and 'creativity' and 'postmodern' shit gets full marks. realistically, is IS an 8000 ss, you just can't read those words.

gorgo31

HSC
c_james said:
I know; the stigma of non-postmodern short stories kinda sucks. I even have a friend who dropped Extension 2 after seeing the showcase, simply because he thought his work wouldn't get the marks. It's a shame, too, because he's a capable student.

I guess a couple of kids just got too creative one year and were since emulated, and now we suffer the consequences...
This is so stupid. I'm in a class where everyone doing short-stories is using post-modern techniques because they thought it would get them marks too. And I think it's a whole lot of bullshit, which is really one of the reasons that I'm doing a script. No extra marks for re-aligning your margin to the right or changing font size in a script.

With that said, I can only imagine that there are a large number of 48-49 that do not use post-modern techniques. It's just that the Showcase needs to have the most flashy and the most publishable short stories and poetry suites around, as it is going to be an exhibition of work, not simply a compilation. Plus, might I add that every examiner's report for English Extension 2 for the past three years (there isn't one available for 2001) has stated that many candidates used post-modern techniques without even attempting to justify them. This is what I mean - kids are being driven insane because they see 50/50 major works using post-modernism and feel they have to emulate it.

If anyone dropped EE2 for fear of having to use post-modernism, then I think they should never have been doing the course in the first place. I took the second-easiest option and avoided it completely, because I'm in that stupidly naive group who thinks they might just get a 50/50 :D But what it comes down to is that only the top 1% of candidates will get into that damn stupid book with that mark - not everyone should be aiming for it, especially if they're utilising wanky, pretentious bullshit for the sake of it.

/rant

krystalp

HSC
gorgo31 said:
This is so stupid. I'm in a class where everyone doing short-stories is using post-modern techniques because they thought it would get them marks too. And I think it's a whole lot of bullshit, which is really one of the reasons that I'm doing a script. No extra marks for re-aligning your margin to the right or changing font size in a script.

With that said, I can only imagine that there are a large number of 48-49 that do not use post-modern techniques. It's just that the Showcase needs to have the most flashy and the most publishable short stories and poetry suites around, as it is going to be an exhibition of work, not simply a compilation. Plus, might I add that every examiner's report for English Extension 2 for the past three years (there isn't one available for 2001) has stated that many candidates used post-modern techniques without even attempting to justify them. This is what I mean - kids are being driven insane because they see 50/50 major works using post-modernism and feel they have to emulate it.

If anyone dropped EE2 for fear of having to use post-modernism, then I think they should never have been doing the course in the first place. I took the second-easiest option and avoided it completely, because I'm in that stupidly naive group who thinks they might just get a 50/50 :D But what it comes down to is that only the top 1% of candidates will get into that damn stupid book with that mark - not everyone should be aiming for it, especially if they're utilising wanky, pretentious bullshit for the sake of it.

/rant

rant well noted~! but, do you think i'll get full marks buddy?

njob

its kinda like you can get like up to 46 by fulfilling the requirements of the course and making it well strcted and intellectly backed but to get those last couple of marks you need to have what they like to call "flair".... ew!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)