Major work? (1 Viewer)

zelda

yeah, for mine, i hav to plan, design and implement an information system of either....a database, multimedia, transaction processing system or communication...
And I hav to include the stages of the system development cycle including a project plan.
Mine isnt due till like term 2.....but I havent started either. Its worth 20% i think.

Does anyone have ne ideas on wot I can do??

zelda

im not sure...depends on ur school..but i think most hav to design their own information system...

I had to do a major work for yr 11...but the yr 12 one is more important

Freedom_Dragon

The 36th Dragon
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by zelda
yeah, for mine, i hav to plan, design and implement an information system of either....a database, multimedia, transaction processing system or communication...
And I hav to include the stages of the system development cycle including a project plan.
Mine isnt due till like term 2.....but I havent started either. Its worth 20% i think.

Does anyone have ne ideas on wot I can do??
Dude,
i dont think its called a[ "major work", this implies somethink major and will weigh alot]. Ull know what i mean if uve done [Industrial Technology Graphics weighing up to a total of 60% of the hsc] etc....

In my school its called assessment and i had to create a
DB when i did the DB topic.

Also had to create a multimedia presentation[which i toped the year using Macromedia Flash MX] when i did the multimedia topic.

For all the other topics tests where held instead of assessments.

I think u should go for multimedia[if uve experienced using stuff like Macromedia Flash MX, Swich Max etc....]

Else, u could go for databases. Will help increase your understandings on the topic.

For TPS's and Communication system ive no idea what will be asked of u so i cant really say anything about those.

Then again it all varies[assessments/what ever u want to call it] from school to school.

Last edited:

Gemstone

Well there's not really a major work as such. I think you might have a big project (over about a term and a half) that's marked internally, but it's not as big as the PIP or the SDD major work. It's more like the ISP for religion studies, but a littlle bit more.

For me it's multimedia.

Gemma

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
i had a major work worth 25 % on Info sys and Databases/Project Work.....we had to design a DB and we also had to follow the system development cycle etc etc...it in actual combined 2 core units!

i had a mini project for multimedia to be made in this application called Hyperstudio worth 15 %

Trials were worth 30%

Communications test was worth 15%

TPS test was also 15%

Blay

the TwinBlade
would it be safe to say that we're all from SYDNEY
HSC
Originally posted by Gemstone

For me it's multimedia.

I'm doing multimedia too... in fact, it's an interactive CD for the school (full of videos, images, sounds, etc). Personally i think multimedia is easier than the databases :p so why's everyone pushing to databases anyway?

I did a major work for year 11 as well based on implimenting a eb site LOL and i got 19/20 for the results AND the implimentation work :p (so happy) hopefully i can pull off my multimedia one and grab myself a whopping 40/40 and take the lead in my school MWUAHHAA!! :p

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
depends...some ppl are creative some are not....fortunately i am creative as well as i have an aptitude in computers so i did well in both yr 11 and 12 and in both multimedia and the databases :D

Blay

the TwinBlade
HSC
Bah... i envy you lil_star ><* i just had my databases exam and totaly screwed it up :( Right now i'm placed 15th out of 23 :'(

...friggin damn SQL... damn Access... damn microsoft *goes off cussing some more in a lil corner of his room*

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
@Blay:

hey....didnt ur teacher give u interactive tutorials on Access DB? or didnt ur teacher explain how access works in class? my teacher did both! :)

but SQL queries...i think i missed a few lessons on that, so i learnt em later my self...not so hard.,....look for explainations in Get Smart IPT book! we also did quite a few examples in class....which book do u use? in Heinmann im sure there wud be Q's/Activities on SQL queries...do them and then get the answers from: www.hi.com.au under IPT section, also if u use jacaranda...see website of wiley publications given in the book and download the answers....it will be good...as ''practice makes perfect"

Dont worry...Info sys and DB is the hardest topic (and prolly my best) thus i typed up my notes for this topic, so im good enuf! ur most welcome to take my info sys and DB notes :) pm me your email addy...i can send em to u via msn :)

if u want to improve ur rank.....then find out whats the difference in marks b/w u and different ppl above u and then compete...the difference may be as little as 0.2222%...which is usually the case at this time of the yr as its in a way is a beginning!

Good Luck :)

Last edited:

Blay

the TwinBlade
HSC
bah? tutorials? LOL What tutorials? The guy barely knows how to use Access!! ><* and the reason i got so bad in my assessment was that our THEORY exam had PRACTICAL in it ><* (involving SQL, Databases) Bah... *goes off to curse some more*

btw thanks for the tips and notes lil star... i'll send you my email now...

Courtney

HSC
I just got my 'major work' before these holidays. It too is for multimedia.
Mine is to create a website for a company that doesn't have one

My weighs 30%..a big one!...although we have a while to complete it which is good

...I did a 'major work' in yr 11 about which formal place is the best according to our year! I got 96% for that..heres hoping this one will be up there!

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
it depends on the teacher...

most people will have a major work to do

but it wouldn't be like 50% of your final mark.....the trial exam would be the biggest part of your marks

but ipt assignments are dead easy, you can get full marks with little effort, your teacher should give you a complete marking scheme, showing you where every mark goes....
just fulfil the requirements from the marking scheme, when you get your project back, and if teacher took marks away, you can argue with them, that you fit the criterial of the marking scheme bah bah bah, annoy them until they give u the mark hehhe
unless you didn't do it/ did half/ or the teacher has a very good argument, your bound to get the mark

that's what i did :p

another thing, it would be a good idea to get your teacher to look over part of your assignment before handing it in...
i would ask them about some parts, with really direct questions like 'would this get me full marks' or 'does this fulfil the marking scheme'...lol the teacher would usually answer yes yes yes..
it actually worked because when i got my assignment back, he gave me half marks for something which i showed him earlier, he before he said that is 100% correct, but he gave me half marks, so i argued and got the rest of the marks :)

might seem desperate but the marks separating each rank at my school for ipt was just 1-2 marks for the top 10 ranks! and ranks are so dam important...
everyone was arguing for marks...
i just had secret plans to get more hehe :D

Last edited:

Tarin~~~

Hey guys, i could really do with a hand, i have major project to do for IPT and its pretty hard, i wont type all the boring details up but i would luuuurvee it if any of you guys feel like helping me out. thanks a heap

Tazza

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Originally posted by Tarin~~~
Hey guys, i could really do with a hand, i have major project to do for IPT and its pretty hard, i wont type all the boring details up but i would luuuurvee it if any of you guys feel like helping me out. thanks a heap

Tazza
imagine how tired wud we get by helping ;) :p

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
haha if u don't type of specific details how can we help...
this is an open discussion forum, ask questions and it shall be answered

but no we will not do your whole assignment, ask about parts and we will lead you in the right direction

fryfry

hey im doing a kinda major work thing and we have to do a project plan n stuff does any on have any ideas to help me start mine or how to write it

Tarin~~~

:p chill lil_star, i only need a hand with bits not the whole lot. i need to make a new information system for a supermarket that is having trouble keeping stock records it is a mim of 26 pages................ i almost fainted when i got it, anything you guys can help with would be great

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)