Majoring in Psychology? (1 Viewer)

nqr

HSC
N/A
Re: Hi

Registration as a PsychologistIn order to become a member of the professional body, the Australian Psychological Society (APS), and for registration as a psychologist in New South Wales, students first need a university bachelor degree which includes four years of approved training in psychology. The BPsychol degree provides four years of approved training in psychology. Students must also follow this by completing an accredited 5th and 6th year academic degree such as one of the Master of Psychology Degrees (Clinical, Forensic, Organisational) or a combined Doctor of Philosophy/Master of Psychology Degree as offered by this University. An alternative of two years of supervised experience in professional practice may be undertaken for registration as a psychologist in NSW.
This is correct.

I'm not a psychologist, but work in an office with several (school) psychologists, and most of them have done 4 years of study (with the 4th year being either Honours or a Graduate Diploma in Psychology) + 2 years of supervised practice. A couple have done a postgraduate Masters degree as their '+2', and one has one PsychD (Doctor of Psychology). The required qualifications may vary slightly according to which area of psychology you plan to practice in.

As far as I'm aware, the undergraduate degree psychology is studied in does not matter (whether it be a BA, BSc, BSocSc, or BPsych); so long as it meets the APS's required number of units studied to be eligible for registration.

amirite

HSC
This thread is SO helpful! :D

I think I have gotten my head around tertiary systems in only a few days. Yay for me! :skip:

Now all ive got to do is decide which masters to do: philosophy or psychology. Clinical or forensic. Gah! And ill also have to do year 12, 3 years of undergrad, honours, etc. but thats not important...

I hope this forum is still alive in 7 years so I can see what ive done since. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)