majors.... (1 Viewer)

ShAdow_FaX

HSC
if ur enrolled in just a straight B Commerce how many majors do u have to choose on enrolment day? and u only graduate with one major don't u unless ur doing a combined degree???

ShAdow_FaX

HSC
ahhh k....so wots the max u can major in? and if u realli wanna can u jus major in one specific area?

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
yeah you can do a major and a minor..

but i don't see the point since you have to fill up your other credit points, why not just do another major.

RXG

The whole point of this one major appraoch by the faculty is that employers have asked for more all rounded graduates with skills in a variety of areas which is why the one major with one or more minors has been introduced.

3 majors is a big commitment, extra units, more time etc. I believe you nee permission from the faculty as well.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
yeah you need permission from the faculty.
but in some degrees (the 4 year ones) you are allowed to have 3 majors!!

it would be a hectic 3rd year if you were to have 3 majors.. unless you opted to stay another year!!

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
Umm If I do an accounting major I need to complete:
ECON 1001
ECON 1002
ACCT 1001
ACCT 1002
ECMT 1010
INFS 1000
(all compulsory)
And to be recognised by CPA you also need
ECMT 1020
CLAW 1001
Which means all 48 points are already taken up, So if i wanted to major in both Accounting and Management, that wouldn't be possible, as all 48 credit pts have been taken up for the 1st yr, and Management requires both MKTG 1001 and 1002 for 1st year.
Is this correct? Or are you able to do 1000 Lvl units during second year?

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
yeah you can do 1000 level units in second year. you can even do them in third year if you want.

you can structure your degree the way you want, as long as you satisfy the amount of credit points and don't go over the minimum number of first year credit points.

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
Ah cool, thanks for clearing that up, I was real worried about that. I thought that you could only do 1000 lvl units in first year, at least by majoring in accounting it won't limit my choice for my other major.
Although I better get a move on, cause enrolment is 2moro... LOL

ressul

Mr
HSC
How many students do more than one major?

And which ones are u doing now?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
omg scut!!! u traitor!!! ='(

affirmative on u can choose 1xxx subjects in first yr...

Mejc

CSAK AZ ETO
HSC
ressul said:
And which ones are u doing now?
I'm doing double major in finance/ major in marketing, two of my friends are doing major in Accounting CPA/ major in finance, another is doing double major in finance/major in Econometrics, the other mate of mine is doing Major in Accounting/ Major in Marketing and the other is doing Major in Human Resource Management/ major in Goverrnment and Industrial Relations plus were all doing Engo degree's as well

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Apparently I can do:
Major in human resource management
Major in marketing
Major in management
Minor in political economy

matt#1

HSC
N/A
1Time4thePpl said:
Apparently I can do:
Major in human resource management
Major in marketing
Major in management
Minor in political economy
I'm not sure that you can do both the management and human resource management majors because I think there is a rule that senior units can;t be used towards 2 different majors??...and I think that these majors overlap in terms of compulsary senior units (i'm not 100% sure on this, so check with the eco+ bus faculty). Also, the career outcomes of these 2 majors are so similar that i think u would probably be wasting your time.

It is possible to do 3 majors though, because I am doing a Bachelor of Economics with planned majors in economics, management and commercial law.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Yeah - the handbook says that to complete management major without hrm you need 44 or so credit points? (cant remember exact number) and 32 (i think) with the human resource management major.
So it's provided for.

So i could do these 3 majors and a minor? (damn the compulsory minor :( )
Do we get a document saying we complete 3 majors at the end of uni?

aditya

HSC
scut ur mistaken - if u want to become a CA or a CPA eventualli then u need to do like 3 more units for a CA accredited major and like 5 more for a cpa major....

look on the usyd website its there, it ads up to like 66 for a CA - there are like 3 claw subjects that are 8 credit points each, and u need corporate finance 1 and infs 2000 which means u need to complete both 1000 and 2000... its fukced up man

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Have instead decided to take double majors in hrm and marketing and minor in pol eco

snoopwogg

HSC
Oryt umm.. im a n00b... i was jus wondering if u guys could clear a few things up for me...

Firstly, what is the difference between a major and a double major? Can u do 2 or more majors in a double degree (esp one with high # of hours as engineering) and can u even do 2 or more double majors?
Also, whats teh difference between "Management" and "Human Resource Management and Industrial Relations". How come theres a smaller number of compulsory units and electives for HRM+IM than management (read it in d handbook... or misread)?
Finally, do yas rekon i could do 2 majors or something, as in i wanna do accounting and get CPA recog. as well as doing some form of management, possibly both? im scared.. am i asking for a high workload? :(

Thnx..

Mejc

CSAK AZ ETO
HSC
snoopwogg said:
Firstly, what is the difference between a major and a double major?
For a double major you do 2 extra senior units e.g. for a Finance DOuble major 6 instead of 4
snoopwogg said:
Can u do 2 or more majors in a double degree (esp one with high # of hours as engineering) and can u even do 2 or more double majors?
Yes you should be able to fit it in you'll get a feel for the difference between engo and commerce subjects

snoopwogg said:
Finally, do yas rekon i could do 2 majors or something, as in i wanna do accounting and get CPA recog. as well as doing some form of management, possibly both? im scared.. am i asking for a high workload? :(
I've heard from friends of mine that the Management majors are a bit of a bludge compared to their engo work the CPA part will b the more strenuous part of you major you'll start to get a feel for the workload in first year witht the engo part part just look at your degree outline on the EE site and you should see if you can fit it in over 5 years http://www.ee.usyd.edu.au/ugrad/Enrolments/te_bcom.phtml

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)