Majo's ditch the mufti... (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
haha, i think it's a good thing... if it'll let to robing in the local court ;)
Magistrates ditch the mufti

WHEN magistrates ditched the centuries old title of "your worship" last year for the judges' nomenclature of "your honour", pundits believed it was as much a matter of snobbery as uniformity in NSW courts.

But now a more serious change is occurring in the magistrates' ranks. From this week, mufti is out and plain black robes are in for the state's 150 magistrates.

It is a reflection of the same security concerns that saw judges of the Family Court adopt wigs and gowns in 1988.

"Robing has been introduced to enhance the security of judicial officers in the court, particularly the security of [the 42] judicial officers who are women," said a spokesman for the Attorney-General, Bob Debus. "Magistrates have expressed concern they can be readily identified by disaffected litigants upon leaving the court.

"Wearing a robe while sitting on the bench may allow them greater anonymity. It will also enhance the standing of the court and thereby assist in maintaining the court's authority."

Unlike the generally conservative grey and navy suits worn by male magistrates and solicitors, some women magistrates have favoured vibrant-coloured suits.

But the magistrates are not about to don wigs, and barristers and solicitors are still not permitted to wear robes.

While magistrates would be encouraged to wear robes, they were not compulsory, the spokesman said.

HSC
They can do the swishy professor snape thing now!
(sorry...i've been watching hp & reading hp...)
;)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Agh, dodgy legal reporting from the SMH. Lacking in detail as always!

I wonder if this is Spiegleman CJ's doing, since he was behind the change in uniformity to magistrate's being called "your honour".

santaslayer

HSC
They seem to be cosmetic changes anyway...

why the hell is there an advertisment in the middle of the posts?

HSC
How is this thread related to Spanish translations? Is google possibly failing? :S

santaslayer

HSC
charlie_charlie said:
How is this thread related to Spanish translations? Is google possibly failing? :S
maybe if it was latin translations...it would be more appropriate..

but yes..i dont really think these changes to the court is really all that significant..

X

xeuyrawp

santaslayer said:
but yes..i dont really think these changes to the court is really all that significant..
They were for the family court, which quickly reintroduced robing and wigging after a number of incidents.

Not only does robing and wigging have a pragmatic effect -- you can't recognise the person, but it has a psychological effect -- the person sitting up there, with a robe and wig, is a different person who I can kill in real life. That's why judges don't have a first name. I wouldn't be Justice Robert Persson, who lives in Lindfield with his boyfriend and cat, I'd be Justice Persson, who is a harsh judge.

santaslayer

HSC
PwarYuex said:
They were for the family court, which quickly reintroduced robing and wigging after a number of incidents.

Not only does robing and wigging have a pragmatic effect -- you can't recognise the person, but it has a psychological effect -- the person sitting up there, with a robe and wig, is a different person who I can kill in real life. That's why judges don't have a first name. I wouldn't be Justice Robert Persson, who lives in Lindfield with his boyfriend and cat, I'd be Justice Persson, who is a harsh judge.
For the family court and something like the local...-I thought they were always trying to get rid of the formal and intimidating structure...? They seem to have added to the formality...

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
santaslayer said:
For the family court and something like the local...-I thought they were always trying to get rid of the formal and intimidating structure...? They seem to have added to the formality...
i was told that refering to magistrates as "Your honour" was to prevent confusion and make it less intimidating,???

I dont think it would be that much more intimidating because its just a plain rove, no wig etc

X

xeuyrawp

santaslayer said:
Sorry, I actually don't know the details (maybe a more Learned individual can enlighten us?). I was told by a barrister that a number of problems occured right after mufti was introduced in the family courts. Apparently a few judges were targeted by enraged fathers after custody hearings, or something...

After the bar council suggested putting robes and wigs back on, the problems stopped.

Like I said, even in early times, separation of Joe Bloggs the person and Judge Bloggs the judge has occured. Not only is this for the protection of Joe, but for protection of the law -- Judge Bloggs is the law, not a person.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
because some pissed-off male divorcees shot one family court judge and bombed another's wife in the 80s.

X

xeuyrawp

Frigid said:
because some pissed-off male divorcees shot one family court judge and bombed another's wife in the 80s.
I thought it was something along those lines, but I can't remember the specifics. :)

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
Ooooo, I love robes. Seriously, I'm all for it. :)

But I do prefer the old "Your Worship" form of address.

This brief reply to a thread on the law forum is well timed as right now I'm sitting in a little internet cafe near a snowy Supreme Court in Washington DC (actually, it's a branch of uber big multinational FedExKinkos - when did they merge?). Just got shouted at for trying to hug one of the statues at the foot of the Court stairs. Damn war on terrorism - everything is suddenly 'illegal'.

Hope you are all as cold as I am,
All my love, a little eggnog and super-happy hugs,
MC xoxoxoxoxoxox

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
ManlyChief said:
Ooooo, I love robes. Seriously, I'm all for it. :)

But I do prefer the old "Your Worship" form of address.

This brief reply to a thread on the law forum is well timed as right now I'm sitting in a little internet cafe near a snowy Supreme Court in Washington DC (actually, it's a branch of uber big multinational FedExKinkos - when did they merge?). Just got shouted at for trying to hug one of the statues at the foot of the Court stairs. Damn war on terrorism - everything is suddenly 'illegal'.

Hope you are all as cold as I am,
All my love, a little eggnog and super-happy hugs,
MC xoxoxoxoxoxox
You are the campest Sydney Law student I know.

X

xeuyrawp

erawamai said:
You are the campest Sydney Law student I know.
Hahhahhah.

I was thinking that.

It's cute, though. I love hugs. They're the best. Some straight guys give the best hugs, too :)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
frigid is in want of affection. it's xmas. and i'm single. *le sighe*

mr manly, i hope ur having fun in the good ol' US of A.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)