Votes: 27 47.4%
  • no

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • doesn't make a difference to me

Votes: 8 14.0%

• Total voters

quickoats

HSC
“Internals” are informed by external marks anyway (i.e. they aren’t your raw school marks) so it wouldn’t really make a big difference anyway.

O01x

HSC
“Internals” are informed by external marks anyway (i.e. they aren’t your raw school marks) so it wouldn’t really make a big difference anyway.
It might make a huge difference to the overall mark, some schools have only set one (or maybe none) exam prior to trials being cancelled (depends on school tbh) and the other tasks could have been hand ins which could easily be cheated by those who have tutors which can mess up internal rankings and make things unfair, to combat this problem I think setting externals to 75% is a good strategy. I think its all depends on your school situation I probably wouldn't be caring about this if I went to a top ranking school where the cohort would most likely perform well externally

zizi2003_

HSC
no way, that would devalue 4 terms of stress for those who actually put in consistent effort throughout the year rather than some temporary super-grind before the hsc.
YES THANK YOU

and imagine just ONE set of exams weighing 75%. idk, would rather have internals weigh 75% at this point- would be relieving to know that i only need to revise for 25% worth of exams one last time

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I would compare allocating more weight to the HSC exam to making a large and highly risky business investment. This is not the most certain period in terms of how the HSC exams will be held, and students may not currently be in the best mental state to be able to effectively study for exams, let alone one that would be worth 75% of their final mark for their respective subjects. Not performing well in an exam that is worth 75% of a student's final mark can be highly detrimental to their final mark and consequently their ATAR, and this is an important thing to consider.

DarkOperator618

HSC
I would compare allocating more weight to the HSC exam to making a large and highly risky business investment. This is not the most certain period in terms of how the HSC exams will be held, and students may not currently be in the best mental state to be able to effectively study for exams, let alone one that would be worth 75% of their final mark for their respective subjects. Not performing well in an exam that is worth 75% of a student's final mark can be highly detrimental to their final mark and consequently their ATAR, and this is an important thing to consider.
Nesa be like

tHiS iSnT tHe RiGhT mEnTaL sTaTe tO hOlD exAmS

O01x

HSC
I proposed this statement because not everyone goes to a reputable or semi decent school and internal marks can play them dirty and drag their overall ATAR down significantly. Some teachers in those crappy rank schools seem to not care and distribute marks unfairly in internal assessments. I've have friends from older years with all their external marks much higher than their internal marks and this wouldn't have impacted them as much if the system made it a larger weighting for external exams. Haven't seen it much the other way around (Internal marks higher than external) unless the student went to a school that ranked well and even then it was a slight difference. In a poor ranking school a 1 rank difference could be a difference of 1 mark internally but 5 marks in the external HSC. The only existing way to combat this is actually go to a decent school which has a lower mark gap between the ranks but this isn't accessible for everyone hence why I stated the 75% external weighted thing.

zizi2003_

HSC
I proposed this statement because not everyone goes to a reputable or semi decent school and internal marks can play them dirty and drag their overall ATAR down significantly. Some teachers in those crappy rank schools seem to not care and distribute marks unfairly in internal assessments. I've have friends from older years with all their external marks much higher than their internal marks and this wouldn't have impacted them as much if the system made it a larger weighting for external exams. The only existing way to combat this is actually go to a decent school which isn't accessible for everyone.
honestly it also depends on whether people have done well in their internals.
those who didn't try their best in the internals would want externals to be made 75% to redeem themselves and try harder. but then those who already put in a lot of effort in their internals would feel as if the effort was all for nothing if the internals are reduced to 25%.
so it's not a win-win anyway.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I proposed this statement because not everyone goes to a reputable or semi decent school and internal marks can play them dirty and drag their overall ATAR down significantly. Some teachers in those crappy rank schools seem to not care and distribute marks unfairly in internal assessments. I've have friends from older years with all their external marks much higher than their internal marks and this wouldn't have impacted them as much if the system made it a larger weighting for external exams. Haven't seen it much the other way around (Internal marks higher than external) unless the student went to a school that ranked well and even then it was a slight difference. In a poor ranking school a 1 rank difference could be a difference of 1 mark internally but 5 marks in the external HSC. The only existing way to combat this is actually go to a decent school which has a lower mark gap between the ranks but this isn't accessible for everyone hence why I stated the 75% external weighted thing.
That's definitely understandable. At the end of the day, I believe such a change would remain a double-edged sword in the sense that it would be a welcomed change by students under the circumstances you've described, but may be opposed by other students for the reason I've mentioned. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)