Making a Simple Electric Motor (1 Viewer)

Static

HSC
Hey Guys,
As topic states have to make an electric motor, a simple one at that. Does any one have any "good" detailed sites.
Anyone already made one? How'd you go. I downloaded Laz's assessment, and geez he put alot of effort, looks to good to be home made!

Thanks guys, feel free to make any comments about electric motors

^___^
HSC
don't expect to make one work in ur first go....i did my at school end of last yr and it took me like 3 periods to get it working smoothly...

watch for the connection between communtator and the brushes...very important...for the communtator, make the split gap as small as possible....

thats all i can think of now...

Static

HSC
thanks alot its just that alot of sites, which show "simple" motors, dont really have details on the commutator which confuses me, basically they just strip the plastic half way down so half the wire is showing and half is covered in enamel. If i had nothing else to do on weekends, i'm sure i couldnt make a really good one, but with work, other assessments, i dont have a full day for this. Anyway, it basically has to spin for 10+ seconds, without ANY aid from anyone (to get it started), so it doesnt matta if its made out of coke cans, just has to spin to get 18 marks (out of around 35) then the theory side.

^___^
HSC
our communtator sounds a lot simpler....it was just a cock(ones u get from wine bottles) and get 2 piece of copper wrap around it...we had to make sure the size of those coppers plate were right...then, we just use rubber band and wrapped around it

Static

HSC
hmm good, simple idea.. thanx.. hmm u think foil would work? just trying to think of things i can use from around the house

countrydude

hmmmmm
HSC
N/A
>dont forget about the armature...if you are using a cork cut it out so that you can get more coils in....more coils leads to more torque..

>try not to use household foil because if you are using 5+ volts it will weld togeather with the commutator....try foil from the science lab that is a bit thicker.

^___^
HSC
foil...hmm, i saw someone did that from a different school...it worked...but of course, its good up to an extend

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
a REALLY simple motor(what our school did 4 the prac neway):

get a D sized battery and tape paperclips distorted to a y shape 2 each end of the battery get a coil of copper wire and make a few circular coils but let the 2 ends of teh wire protrude from the end of the ring so that the line made by joining the 2 ends is the diameter of the ring(dont do this, im just describing teh shape) now scrape the insulation off HALF of teh surface of the protruding ends and place the ring onto the y shaped holders(paperclips) connected 2 the battery, place a strong magnet directly beneath the ring on the battery and the ring should spin. This model doesnt have a commutator as such but cuts of teh current as it reverses so that the momentum carries it into the next half rotation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)