Making Money vs Work experience (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,
Lots of people have asked me to tutor their kids for $30 an hour but I would like a job in a shopping mall to improve my customer service and get work experience.
Would you rather earn money through private tutoring or get $12 an hour working in a shop in a mall?
I would personally enjoy the job in the mall more but the money from tutoring is pretty convincing (kids in year 3, 4 and 5)
Also, don't retail and shopping mall jobs look better than tutoring on a work resume? And the work is easier I guess because for tutoring you have to organise resources and deal with stressed parents who want to place their kids in OC classes?
Btw im in year 10, and would probably work a max of 5 hours a week on the weekends.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Work xp. Getting the first job is always hard, after that you can get whatever you want.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
work experience don't mean shit in high school.

get dat $$$$$$ it's easy to get a retail job anyway.

HSC
N/A
:blink2:
I guess the thing is that I've never tutored before and working outside is a lot easier/ more enjoyable because no need to prepare lessons and talk to parents etc.
And also easy access to mall :/

Flop21

HSC
Dunno if you will even be able to get a retail job. It's not actually that easy, well at least for me it wasn't lol.

Why not do both? Maybe take on 2 kids for tutoring and try and get a retail job as well. Experience does count, because when you're in uni you will most likely need a part-time job and that will be really hard when you're like 19 with 0 work experience.

HSC
N/A
Dunno if you will even be able to get a retail job. It's not actually that easy, well at least for me it wasn't lol.

Why not do both? Maybe take on 2 kids for tutoring and try and get a retail job as well. Experience does count, because when you're in uni you will most likely need a part-time job and that will be really hard when you're like 19 with 0 work experience.
hahahah yeah ive actually applied to around 15 retail jobs. On a side note i also got a job at a tutoring centre but i decided not to go there. Will stores hire for only 3 hours?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I would think stores would hire for a min of 8. 2 x 4hr shifts. Obvs depends what store.

Bingobango

HSC
I would definitely be getting the retail job, and if the money is an issue for you, tutor at the same time. Tutor for a few hours on a Saturday, bam. There's your cash to splash. You're right about the experience on the resume. I recently met a guy who owned a bunch of restaurants then moved into researching youth employment (because people with Commerce degrees were coming to wait tables lol) and he's literally the biggest advocate of work experience I've ever seen. In starting up his business, he was hiring law graduates as business associates and said one girl had a Law degree and a bunch of awards from uni and shit, but one year work experience at a work shop and she was 26. Like wtf?? The girl he hired had the degree, and eight years work experience, four in a bookshop, four somewhere else. I mean, is that even a competition?

Hiring someone is a big risk for a business. Labour will likely be one of their main expenses. Employers will look to minimise their risk anyway they can, and one indicator that you're not as useful as leek and onion soup is your employment history.

You're in Year 10 - you don't really need the money. The extra $18 is, what, another movie ticket? (Not trying to be condescending, but when it comes down to it, money is not your concern right now, because it isn't *THAT* valuable to you. Your main concern is opening doors - as many doors as possible - to your future. I would definitely get a job. Any job.)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Assuming it's in a proper retail store where you get training, development, etc... and it's well organised/etc then that's far better for development. You can always make more money in the future but getting the job might be harder without work experience.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Getting a retail job is all about who you know. If you have mates working in the store it's a fairly easy hook up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)