Malaysia and Singapore... who's been? (1 Viewer)

xxFiveWords

HSC
So, anyone been to Malaysia and Singapore?
  • what's the main language/s?
  • what's there to do?
  • what's the night life like?
  • are they clean?
  • what's the shopping like?

thx
xxFiveWords

William_Lawry

NSW Police
HSC
N/A
xxFiveWords said:
  • what's there to do?
  • are they clean?

thx
xxFiveWords
singapore

they speak english and chinese..
shop, shop, shop, go to santosa... visit changi zoo, changi was memorial
the night life is awesome.... around raffles the plaza (where i stayed) their is about 5 bars and a night club.
singapore is extremly clean
the shopping is crazy, huge electroic superstores... etc etc

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Spent a few nights in Singapore a while back. Very clean, very humid, very small, very controlled (don't even think about littering).
As cheap or expensive as you let it be.

Night life well I went to a few clubs and a cinema, it gets packed in most places, cinema was about 3/4 full at a midnight screening of a Jackie Chan movie that had been on for a few days already, man I don't enjoy reading subtitles.

Electronics shopping everywhere especially Sim Lim square a 5 storey shopping mall full of PC shops which look like second hand shops (ie stuff everywhere in big piles) Also some IT shops in Funan IT mall, they even have a Harvey Norman there. If you don't like haggling don't go shopping. I bought around AU$1600 worth of electronics stuff there for AU$900 so if you haggle you get good deals. plus they have items other markets do not. I didn't touch clothes shopping, not my scene.

Had no problem with english anywhere, taxi drivers will gladly take you for a tour if you ask them or straight to where you want to go.

Plenty of touristy things to do which I didn't manage to do due to time like the night safari which is supposed to be real good.

I guess it depends what you want to go there for.
No idea about Malaysia I didn't hop across the border.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
xxFiveWords said:
  • what's there to do?
  • are they clean?

thx
xxFiveWords
Malaysia
Official language: Bahasa Melayu (Malay)
Other languages spoken alot: Mandarin/Hokkien (south), Cantonese (north), Tamil/various Indian dialects (sorry I'm not familiar with those but there is a large Indian/Sri Lankan community), English (a compulsory subject in govt. schools; optional in the private Chinese-school system), Bahasa Indonesian & Filipino (commonly used for conversing between maids/servants/drivers)

Stuff to do- well, usually locals enjoy eating alot and shopping... there's of course a lot of piracy (pirated software, imitation clothes, etc..) and there's also quite a lot of corruption... as a result some activities such as drag racing/street racing occur quite alot if you know which areas to go. However it should be warned that whilst shops and stuff open late (10ish for non-food places.. or even later) and close really late (11ish for most non-food shops, food shops can stay open 24hrs... but usually 24hr ones cater for local and feature predominantly Indian cuisine- but nice nonetheless), it's not exactly the safest place (esp. for a non-local) but staying in tourisy areas like KL, whilst abit more expensive than the outer areas, will likely lead you to have more access to english-speaking places, cleaner conditions, better hotels, etc.... anyhow, the main attraction of m'sia is probably eating... there's a bit of site-seeing and so on.. but i don't usually go to m'sia for that.

Nightlife- I wouldn't know.. my rents/family never really let me attend clubbing or anything in M'sia before 'coz too unsafe they say-

Clean- It's like the opposite of Singapore.. there's a reason why they broke off! Well, there's open sewerage in the more local areas... even in the city areas there is open sewerage in some places. The train system is horrible- avoid it if you can... although it's probably on par with Cityrail!.. toilets are a BYO loopaper affair, hole in the ground... and horrible.. so avoid poo-ing (and eating stuff you can't handle) unless near western hotels whereby the toilets tend to be nice and clean...

Shopping- M'sia is very good... and there are a lot of HUGE shopping centres in KL but they require a bit of travelling to get to... there's also a new style of shopping centre being built whereby they build a really huge supermarket (think Big W meets Officeworks meets Coles) which sells everything from clothes to fruit to food to CD-Rs to drinks to booze (I found it quite interesting to see VB for sale in Malaysia next to the Coca Cola and Yakuta)... and then around the one big shop, there'll be lots of little shops selling things like food (yes food is a big part of life), cds (original!), vcds/ps2/etc (not so original), jewellery shops, mobile phones, etc... The currency conversion is very good and so is the buying power- $1aud roughly equals 3 ringgit- and in terms of how much the ppl earn- it's alot easier to earn $1aud than it is to earn 1 ringgit... my cousin works a desk job with office and all as a lawyer and earns less than 2000 ringgit a month- back when she started out as a legal clerk she worked 9-5 everyday for 500ringgit a month (less than $200aud)- so as you can imagine cost of stuff there is very cheap... compared to Singapore at least.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
xxFiveWords said:
  • what's there to do?
  • are they clean?

thx
xxFiveWords
Singapore on the other hand.. sorta like my second home (go back every 6-12months).. is very different to Malaysia. Sure they are both very hot... but everywhere you'd probably go is airconditioned- unless you like going out to the suburbs, exploring the cheaper places, etc.. and it's considerably safer- there's a very very low crime rate/murder rate (ppl are just bloody scared of what the govt. can do).

Whilst the official language is Bahasa Melayu- barely anyone speaks (or can speak) it nowadays... English is the primary language as it is able to be spoken by all different people there- the British, the Chinese AND the Indians.. however be prepared to speak a local language of the seller (eg. Chinese or Tamil) if you want to bargain alot.

Singapore clubbing/partying is very good... it's extremely active. Heaps of everything from outdoor cinema to clubbing to bars, etc.. but be warned- the govt./police don't take crap. No drugs, no littering, nothing illegal. We take for granted in Aus that police aren't that strict but over there you can get jailed- they don't care if you're a tourist. Also- don't bring chewing gum into the country. The shops are also open quite late.. there are a lot of good food places and the singapore govt. has health inspections alot and they grade shops with letters A, B or C (or D I hear?) and they are forced to post the sign somewhere; although in some shops they obscure it a bit!

Anyway if you do go, there's heaps of places to go.. th etrain system is one of the best in the world- buy a prepaid card if you'll be there for more than a wk.. there's really no need to catch a taxi because the train can take you anywhere you want which is worth going to. There's also alot of shops which sell cheap electronics with international warranties- even Harvey Norman. I personally buy stuff from HN because it seems safer (and it's quite a large chain store there)- although lately the price gap between us and them isn't so big anymore... Back in 2002 I bought a CD Walkman for $199sgd (approx $190aud) which retailed for $300 in Australia at the time, and in 2003 I bought a Sony MD for $499 which was over $800 in Australia (RRP). And let's not forget- you can bargain! If you don't trust the ppl- BYO calculator.

And yeh- the whole place is really clean... BUT of course if you go out to suburban areas there are shops which have toilets which aren't that appealing... in the city area it's pretty good though- people there have this uncanny ability to stay clean.. Although there's one thing I've noticed abt SG- because ppl don't fight and so on... people who in Aus would get the shit bashed out of them for being jerks.. are left running rampant in some areas and it just makes you want to hit 'em and tell 'em to ****ing shut up... You have to put up with that- but I'd highly recommend Singapore as the place to go. There's also a lot of Western influence on the shops- as in, if you ever are scared to eat or something.. there's A LOT of western shops there in franchise (eg. bakeries, maccas, kfc, etc..)

Oh and one more thing abt SG.. unless you are interested in certain "services" by women (cough cough)- try to stay away from Geylang. That's the official red-light district of Singapore (yes the govt. even controls where prostitutes are allowed to stay- and they have to carry ID + health card which shows they've been tested for STDs in the last fortnite or something..) ... it's a very controlled society and it's an interesting thing to look at/observe.

I probably should've mentioned stuff like sentosa island, changi airport, the zoo, etc... but any half decent hotel will be able to tell you where to go. BTW Taxis are also really cheap in Singapore if you are too lazy to walk to MRT station- (what would cost us $50 costs less than $10 over there... but beware of the horrendous traffic around Orchard; the tourist area).

Raffles City, Orchard Road, Bugis Junction... they seem to be places where tourists congregate. Even if you're white you should be expecting to get a good deal if you bargain wisely- try checking singaporean websites before you go if you are looking for electronics. One site I use is bluetin.com- they are singaporean based but because it's like.. a mail order thing add about 5% or so on top of their prices to guesstimate how much you can buy that stuff from a local store like Harvey Norman.

I hope I provided enough insight for ya!
I'm too lazy to edit my M'sia post but... yeh don't catch a taxi there unless you know what you're doing =P

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
HAha.. the movie subtitles thing- wait'll you check out M'sian cinemas.. 4 languages of subtitles at once >_> but hey.. a $1aud movie ticket (i was surprised that they have set-seating) and $2aud for the popcorn & drink... I wasn't gonna complain. Although they don't have normal salted popcorn- only sugar popcorn (think caramel popcornw ithout the caramel bit)..

As for SimLim/Funan.. I prefer Funan Centre.. SimLim square, whilst an experience worth experiencing.. has too many tourists and the prices are highly inflated towards the bottom.. only as you start getting higher up in the building do prices come down. Funan on the other hand seems to be more catered to locals and thus offers better prices- although it requires a bit of a walk from the MRT station to get there.

Btw I see you are a female (FiveWords)- I think you should stick to Singapore unless you are M'sian-origin (and will have m'sian family with you) because otherwise there's a good chance you'll get cheated (quite often)... and that might tarnish your views on my country :(

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
seremify007 said:
As for SimLim/Funan.. I prefer Funan Centre.. SimLim square, whilst an experience worth experiencing.. has too many tourists and the prices are highly inflated towards the bottom.. only as you start getting higher up in the building do prices come down.
Who goes to Sim Lim and doesn't take the escalators all the way to the top? I had enough paper to bind into a novel by the time I reached the top :) It certainly is an experience and if one is into hardware then well worth it.
I felt Funan was the more touristy place as it was very clean and glitzy in comparison.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
SimLim felt like those Here Today Gone Tomorrow computer stores... except with neon lights.

Funan felt more.. quiet to me.

I guess it's a subjective thing- both offer pretty good prices; but I always follow the rule of thumb- go in knowing what you want before you ask for the price. Don't let them tell you what you need.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Singapore is fun. Lots of attractions and the transport is very good.

Very clean as they have strict laws on littering.

Santosa Island is like a small attraction that you take the sky rail transport to get to.

Inexpensive place.

The country is small and you can see a lot in a short time.

xxFiveWords

HSC
seremify007 said:
Singapore on the other hand.. sorta like my second home (go back every 6-12months).. is very different to Malaysia. Sure they are both very hot... but everywhere you'd probably go is airconditioned- unless you like going out to the suburbs, exploring the cheaper places, etc.. and it's considerably safer- there's a very very low crime rate/murder rate (ppl are just bloody scared of what the govt. can do).

Whilst the official language is Bahasa Melayu- barely anyone speaks (or can speak) it nowadays... English is the primary language as it is able to be spoken by all different people there- the British, the Chinese AND the Indians.. however be prepared to speak a local language of the seller (eg. Chinese or Tamil) if you want to bargain alot.

Singapore clubbing/partying is very good... it's extremely active. Heaps of everything from outdoor cinema to clubbing to bars, etc.. but be warned- the govt./police don't take crap. No drugs, no littering, nothing illegal. We take for granted in Aus that police aren't that strict but over there you can get jailed- they don't care if you're a tourist. Also- don't bring chewing gum into the country. The shops are also open quite late.. there are a lot of good food places and the singapore govt. has health inspections alot and they grade shops with letters A, B or C (or D I hear?) and they are forced to post the sign somewhere; although in some shops they obscure it a bit!

Anyway if you do go, there's heaps of places to go.. th etrain system is one of the best in the world- buy a prepaid card if you'll be there for more than a wk.. there's really no need to catch a taxi because the train can take you anywhere you want which is worth going to. There's also alot of shops which sell cheap electronics with international warranties- even Harvey Norman. I personally buy stuff from HN because it seems safer (and it's quite a large chain store there)- although lately the price gap between us and them isn't so big anymore... Back in 2002 I bought a CD Walkman for $199sgd (approx $190aud) which retailed for $300 in Australia at the time, and in 2003 I bought a Sony MD for $499 which was over $800 in Australia (RRP). And let's not forget- you can bargain! If you don't trust the ppl- BYO calculator.

And yeh- the whole place is really clean... BUT of course if you go out to suburban areas there are shops which have toilets which aren't that appealing... in the city area it's pretty good though- people there have this uncanny ability to stay clean.. Although there's one thing I've noticed abt SG- because ppl don't fight and so on... people who in Aus would get the shit bashed out of them for being jerks.. are left running rampant in some areas and it just makes you want to hit 'em and tell 'em to ****ing shut up... You have to put up with that- but I'd highly recommend Singapore as the place to go. There's also a lot of Western influence on the shops- as in, if you ever are scared to eat or something.. there's A LOT of western shops there in franchise (eg. bakeries, maccas, kfc, etc..)

Oh and one more thing abt SG.. unless you are interested in certain "services" by women (cough cough)- try to stay away from Geylang. That's the official red-light district of Singapore (yes the govt. even controls where prostitutes are allowed to stay- and they have to carry ID + health card which shows they've been tested for STDs in the last fortnite or something..) ... it's a very controlled society and it's an interesting thing to look at/observe.

I probably should've mentioned stuff like sentosa island, changi airport, the zoo, etc... but any half decent hotel will be able to tell you where to go. BTW Taxis are also really cheap in Singapore if you are too lazy to walk to MRT station- (what would cost us $50 costs less than $10 over there... but beware of the horrendous traffic around Orchard; the tourist area).

Raffles City, Orchard Road, Bugis Junction... they seem to be places where tourists congregate. Even if you're white you should be expecting to get a good deal if you bargain wisely- try checking singaporean websites before you go if you are looking for electronics. One site I use is bluetin.com- they are singaporean based but because it's like.. a mail order thing add about 5% or so on top of their prices to guesstimate how much you can buy that stuff from a local store like Harvey Norman.

I hope I provided enough insight for ya!
I'm too lazy to edit my M'sia post but... yeh don't catch a taxi there unless you know what you're doing =P
thank u so much =)

cloud7

HSC
N/A
hello all, i am from singapore (and i am returning back to sg tmr! lol)
if you have any questions feel free to post!! :)

cheers.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Anything exciting coming up beginning of December over there?

I'm staying with cousins in JB this time (since rents aren't coming with me) and need to go look for car parts in SG~ I hear there are a lot.

cloud7

HSC
N/A
some pictures of singapore..

cbd area

chinatown

the mrt (mass rapid transit system)

bugis area

singapore from plane

cloud7

HSC
N/A
i am so excited, going back tomorrow and enjoying all the wonders of the food over there!!!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
*is hungry* I can't wait to go back and eat.. if there's one thing I like- it's CHEAP, GOOD QUALITY FOOD... made even better by the 24/7 atmosphere.

Oh and to the topic creator- when u get there- BUY TISSUES IMMEDIATELY. Most supermarkets (in Singapore there's "Cold Storage"- pretty much identical to Woolies in design, colour scheme, layout.. I think they are same company) stock them.. and wherever you go make sure you bring at least 2 or 3 packets (you'll see what I mean when you buy them)- you need them when you eat, when you go toilet, or just because you touched something dirty... very few places give out tissues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)