Malcolm Chaikin scholarship interviews (1 Viewer)

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Anyone been shortlisted for an interview for the Malcolm Chaikin scholarship? I just got a call now... but fark, it's gonna be hard for me to get to Sydney on the 2nd. Not to mention the fact that it's my birthday :p lol. But ah fuck I soo wasn't expecting that. I really really hope I can make it :(

Edit: well I confirmed my interview and booked flights. So looks like I'm going.

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Good luck! It's probably the hardest scholarship to get.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Survivor39 said:
Good luck! It's probably the hardest scholarship to get.
Yeah no doubt, $15,000/year for up to 4 years, I'm sure they wouldn't just hand that out willy nilly. That's why I'm so stoked to even make it to the interview stage.

Ova The hILLS

HSC
did you get email or letter/

or rite call sorry didn't read properly

Last edited:

gman03

HSC
They still picked the one with the highest UAI among all the interviewees... Like need 99.90+... Good luck

EmilyTheStrange

Member (hehe)
HSC
gee wizz

wow, i thought i mite get an interview for the malcolm chaikin scholarship, but i havnt even heard from the uni. :( my uai is only in the nineties and no where near 99.90 so i can kiss that idea goodbye!

gman03

HSC
If you are going for the $$, go for coop. Coop like student who cares about $$.

EmilyTheStrange

Member (hehe)
HSC
gman03 said:
If you are going for the $$, go for coop. Coop like student who cares about $$.
oh well, its too late to apply for scholarships now anyway... applications suck, they take so much time and pissfarting around

Lil Clutch

HSC
then whats your propsed course? cos malcolm chaikin is for engineering isnt it? and co-op has alot of engineering courses!

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Malcolm Chaikin has one for Science as well, but the Co-op for Science only does BIT and Computer Science from what I gathered. I'm looking at B.Sc (advanced).

Interview tomorrow. eeep!

nit

HSC
I'm not entirely sure what they're looking for with regards to the Malcolm Chaikin Science scholarship...I get the feeling they look at your preferences and if you place med or anything besides science etc first, you are almost liable to be culled. That's an observation based on personal experience and the experience of a number of people who missed out on interviews this year and last year...it's not necessarily the people with most extensive/impressive extra-curricular participation + marks that get through it seems....

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Well the interview went ok, I wasn't expecting to face a board of 4 people... but yeah. There were a few questions relating to what I have done to extend beyond school with my proposed study plan (phys+astro), when I haven't really done much because I've just been focused on getting the HSC over with... alas. Nevertheless, it was a fun day and the evening function was wonderful, meeting up with the other shortlisted applicants. Most of them being from the top schools, and then little old me from Alstonville High, a school in the middle of nowhere, which came 153rd in last year's HSC. :)

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Haha. Didn't get an interview, didn't even get a letter saying I was rejected.

ValentinesM

HSC
Well the interview went ok, I wasn't expecting to face a board of 4 people... but yeah. There were a few questions relating to what I have done to extend beyond school with my proposed study plan (phys+astro), when I haven't really done much because I've just been focused on getting the HSC over with... alas. Nevertheless, it was a fun day and the evening function was wonderful, meeting up with the other shortlisted applicants. Most of them being from the top schools, and then little old me from Alstonville High, a school in the middle of nowhere, which came 153rd in last year's HSC. :)
hello! I recently got a call for Malcolm Chaikin and I just wanted to ask for a bit more info on how your day went? what was the evening function like? Did a lot of people attend, ie do they shortlist a lot of people and then only pick one or two? i know it was a couple of years ago, so i think i'm pushing your memory a bit.
would have any tips for me? i'd appreciate just anything.
thank you in advance.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
hello! I recently got a call for Malcolm Chaikin and I just wanted to ask for a bit more info on how your day went? what was the evening function like? Did a lot of people attend, ie do they shortlist a lot of people and then only pick one or two? i know it was a couple of years ago, so i think i'm pushing your memory a bit.
would have any tips for me? i'd appreciate just anything.
thank you in advance.
Wow, yeah, that was a while ago. Congrats on getting shortlisted! Needless to say, I didn't get it, but based on what I experienced:

- I figure about 14 ish people got shortlisted
- During the day I had tours of the school of maths and the school of physics (obviously this would depend on your preferences), along with the interview (facing 4 people). In the end the tours were not particularly useful but still kinda fun. Two main points re: interview: be sure to know how to answer "why" you chose your preferences, and what you have done up until this point to prove your interest in it. Even if nothing, make something up.
- At dinner they give you drinks and food. Pretty much awesome.
- In the end, unfortunately, if you don't get a UAI (ATAR?) of > 99.90, you're unlikely to get the scholarship

ValentinesM

HSC
thanks so much Dumsum!! i might have more questions as the date (27th Nov) gets closer.

Wow, yeah, that was a while ago. Congrats on getting shortlisted! Needless to say, I didn't get it, but based on what I experienced:

- I figure about 14 ish people got shortlisted
- During the day I had tours of the school of maths and the school of physics (obviously this would depend on your preferences), along with the interview (facing 4 people). In the end the tours were not particularly useful but still kinda fun. Two main points re: interview: be sure to know how to answer "why" you chose your preferences, and what you have done up until this point to prove your interest in it. Even if nothing, make something up.
- At dinner they give you drinks and food. Pretty much awesome.
- In the end, unfortunately, if you don't get a UAI (ATAR?) of > 99.90, you're unlikely to get the scholarship

kickass91

HSC
btw in the email theres no mention of a tour around the school like what appears to have happened in 2005.

is there just an interview this year?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)