Manhattan project - How and why did it start? (1 Viewer)

gobby41

Life Goal - $5.000 p/w
HSC
It's the easiest part of the essay that i got yet it's the hardest thing i'm having to do in finding infomration. (there's a bad piece of grammar for you). Can anybody help me out.

who_loves_maths

I wanna be a nebula too!!
somewhere amidst the nebulaic cloud of your heart
HSC
hi gobby41,

i would've thought that simply typing "the mahattan project" into Google would have given you enough information?

but in case this does not work, then i suggest this book: "E = mc2: A Biography of the World's Most Famous Equation" by David Bodanis
this book should be able to be found in any secondary school libraries. it's an easy read too, but very informative. from my memory, i think you'll find plenty of accurate information on the Manhattan Project and it's beginning. you don't have to read the entire book too, because all the sections and chapters are nicely segmented in chronological order... so just find part you need.

hope that can help you.

dimzi

OMGWTFBBQ
HSC
I thought it was the development of the Hydrogen bomb and it was developed to gain the upper hand on the USSR whom had already got nukes. They later got the H bomb aswell.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
dimzi said:
I thought it was the development of the Hydrogen bomb and it was developed to gain the upper hand on the USSR whom had already got nukes. They later got the H bomb aswell.
The H-bomb was later. The Manhattan project was the A-bomb development, it started because they feared the German's were working towards an atomic bomb.

ramorris2005

um- just straightening things out- i did this for my major work for history

Harry Truman’s decision to drop an atomic bomb on Hiroshima was controversial. World War II left a reluctance to question the bomb’s necessity or the myth the government had officially recorded to justify their actions and escape responsibility for its consequences. Traditionalists assert that the bomb was dropped due to military necessities, however post-modern historians deconstruct and reassess the myth in the collective memory, questioning whether the bomb was pursued for external purposes. With amounting evidence in retrospect, the contemporary discourse of arguments suggests that Truman rejected several viable and potentially effective alternatives, despite acute awareness of the Japanese likelihood of surrender, due to ulterior motives. He did not sufficiently explore the options because he felt obliged to justify Manhattan Project expenses, wanted to demonstrate American power to intimidate the Soviets, prevent Soviet expansion on the Japanese Mainlands, and because he was reluctant to revise Roosevelt’s legacy risking public condemnation as he himself was looking to justify his non-elected presidency. The bomb provided these diplomatic, domestic, and military objectives. Gar Alperovitz suggests that US supremacy and diplomatic potential became the fundamental frames of reference for the US administration, the bomb being used “almost certainly due to the urgency the officials felt in connection with diplomatic-political concerns.”

Ghost1788

HSC
hey guys i beleive this is related to the option quanta to quaks could you please post in the proper sub forums...makes it easier for you and other people to refer back to.

Ghost.

serge

HSC
dimzi said:
Nope, the USSR were no where near having nukes at that time...
generally its accepted that spies helped the Russians design their first nuke
about 4 years too late

Gina06

HSC
hey, thanks heaps for the standards package info - thats the important stuf - the impacts, not nessecarily the history. you are a clever one.

Gina06

HSC
aaaand i just ralised the last post was like a year ago on this board... so no one will read this *sigh*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)