Manhattan project (1 Viewer)

Hiya_la

Hey ppls,
i have an assi 2 do with the manhattan project and i was wondering if anybody doing the elective From Quanta to Quarks could help me.

The Assessment qu:
Discuss the impact the manhattan project has had on society making reference to:
a) the ending of the war in the pacific, the effect on life in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the Arms Race and the possibility of environmental/human destruction, the absence of war between mahor powers in hte last half century
b) the development of nuclear power (with its advantages and disadvantages) and the use of radioisotopes.

i've looked through many text books, but they are usually too general. The internet has a few good sites, but none of them address the qu. I was just wondering if anybody had clear and concise notes they could send to me.....
thanks in advance...

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
for (a)

The dropping of "little boy" and "fat boy" on Hiroshima and Nagasaki (you'll know the details of the bombs) invoked Japan's surrender and culminated in the end of WWII. Without the use of these bombs, the war could have gone on for much longer and resulted in the loss of many more lives.
The bombs, however, meant a tremendous loss of life for hundreds of thousands of Japanese, as well as the destruction of the cities of Nagasaki and Hiroshima. Residual radioactivity was also left in the area, causing deaths from cancer even years and decades after the event. The use of the bombs may have been effective, but it might have been too effective.
The success of the Manhattan project meant that other countries were encouraged to develop nuclear weapons, stimulating the nuclear arms race. This has probably been the deciding factor in preventing major world wars in the last half century. The possible consequences of mass detonation of nuclear weapons are unspeakable; a nuclear winter would cause all life on earth to die, probably a significant impact on the human race as a whole...

lol.. i had to do this for my assignment as well...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)