MAQ or USYD for Arts degree - all things considered (1 Viewer)

Existential

HSC
N/A
have you thought about moving into share accommodation, or applying for college?

The usyd colleges generally have quite a good scholarship program to help with fees if you need it. I expect most colleges would have their applications open now (they tend to close quite early - around mid-october).

Just another option.
If you would refer me to such generous scholarships I would like to see it.

izzy88

HSC
If you would refer me to such generous scholarships I would like to see it.
Well I really have no idea who you are/what you do/if you are a guy or a girl - so it is extremely difficult for me to have any idea what scholarships (or even colleges, since some are single-sex) would apply to you. However all the usyd colleges (St Andrews, Paul's, Wesley, John's, Women's, Sancta and International House) have scholarships available - the amounts and what they are awarded for all vary.

Here are a couple of websites for the colleges: http://www.stpauls.edu.au/node/52 ; http://www.standrewscollege.edu.au/?/About The College/Academic Program/Scholarships ; http://thewomenscollege.com.au/scholarships.php

However, whilst there can be very specific scholarships (indigenous, engineering, rural etc) there are at some colleges also just general scholarships (for example, at Women's college they are just titled 'Women's College Scholarships' and are available for people who don't fit into the specific scholarship categories. They can be awarded based on merit, financial need, if you live out of sydney, involvement in college life etc etc and the amount that is awarded depends year to year - basically its up to the discretion of the scholarship committee and how much money they have available for scholarships. They can be anywhere from $1500 a year to $6000 almost half fees).

A scholarship might not cover full board (they are rare), however it may help subsidise it enough so that you can work to pay the rest, or if you parents are happy to help support you, then that might also work.

I just wanted to point out the different options - I'm not presenting a magical solution. Personally, I had no idea colleges existed when I was finishing highschool, and I ended up having friends in them, and moved in in second year - it was a very fun experience.

Existential

HSC
N/A
I just wanted to point out the different options - I'm not presenting a magical solution. Personally, I had no idea colleges existed when I was finishing highschool, and I ended up having friends in them, and moved in in second year - it was a very fun experience.
Out of curiosity did you move in with a scholarship or not? If so what scholarship? And in either case what college? Thanks.

izzy88

HSC
Out of curiosity did you move in with a scholarship or not? If so what scholarship? And in either case what college? Thanks.
I actually moved in at the end of first year of college (I went to Women's College) - so i didn't move in with a scholarship (because they are offered at beginning of the year). However I applied and received a scholarship for the next year (I had to reapply every year for a scholarship, but I ended up getting one for every year i was there after that). I just got a generic 'Women's College Scholarship'. The amount varied - from from $3,000 to $5,000 a year.

Existential

HSC
N/A
I actually moved in at the end of first year of college (I went to Women's College) - so i didn't move in with a scholarship (because they are offered at beginning of the year). However I applied and received a scholarship for the next year (I had to reapply every year for a scholarship, but I ended up getting one for every year i was there after that). I just got a generic 'Women's College Scholarship'. The amount varied - from from $3,000 to $5,000 a year.
And how far does $3,000 to $5,000 a year go to meeting the costs of living in Women's College ie. what percentage is it of the total yearly fee of living there? Again curiosity and thanks.

izzy88

HSC
And how far does $3,000 to $5,000 a year go to meeting the costs of living in Women's College ie. what percentage is it of the total yearly fee of living there? Again curiosity and thanks.
Fees at women's college next year are $432 a week; so its about $14,500 a year. This covers accommodation, food and general college stuff such as social activities, college run tutorials etc. You generally don't stay at college over the july holidays or the summer holidays.

It's not cheap - you could probably find somewhere to rent cheaper than the colleges - but the colleges are convenient, food is provided, and they are fun - they can provide a very good introduction to university life, and there are 250 or so other people living there.

Existential

HSC
N/A
Fees at women's college next year are $432 a week; so its about $14,500 a year. This covers accommodation, food and general college stuff such as social activities, college run tutorials etc. You generally don't stay at college over the july holidays or the summer holidays.

It's not cheap - you could probably find somewhere to rent cheaper than the colleges - but the colleges are convenient, food is provided, and they are fun - they can provide a very good introduction to university life, and there are 250 or so other people living there.
That's what I thought...... great you can have this scholarship each year but there's still $10,000.00 not included in the scholarship. -_-

Starfriend

emancipation
HSC
That's what I thought...... great you can have this scholarship each year but there's still $10,000.00 not included in the scholarship. -_-
That's $5000 better than a lot of people. Stop whinging.

Going to university costs money. It involves sacrifices (whether monetary, or time in terms of transport). Get used to it.

tambam

HSC
That's $5000 better than a lot of people. Stop whinging.

Going to university costs money. It involves sacrifices (whether monetary, or time in terms of transport). Get used to it.
+1
A uni degree costs in excess of 30 000 dollars a year.
Thanks to hecs you only need to pay a maximum of 10k a year, and even then you only pay once youre earning a decents salary.
So be greatful our government is freaking generous, and stop complaining.
Its a blessing if you do get a scholarship like izzy88, but it is by no means something you are entitled to.

izzy88

HSC
well to be fair, when I was getting scholarships the yearly cost of college was cheaper (the price per week does go up every year). However I supplemented that scholarship with income from work and my parents also helped out a bit.

It's still something, and it made the cost of living in college probably more comparable to living in share accommodation elsewhere. In the end, I had to move out of home because my parents moved to rural nsw - so either way I was going to have to pay for rent/food etc.

You just have to make do with what you've got (and I was very grateful for what i was given. Qualifying for youth allowance would have made it all a little bit easier - but that didn't happen, so I just worked and saved).

Last edited:

tambam

HSC
Extrapolate.
Extrapolate: (verb) To estimate or conclude (something) in a certain way
Don't incorrectly use big words that you don't know the meaning of.

& Stop making multiple threads asking pretty much the same thing...
The general consensus is that usyd law is the best, and it'd be pretty foolish to go to macquarie if you actually got the required atar to go to usyd.

Starfriend

emancipation
HSC
Extrapolate.
LOL, you don't sound smarter by using longer words.

Seems like you've created this thread at whirlpool as well. And also - lets be honest, youre a racist. your disgust with indigenous scholarships has nothing to do with any concern for aboriginals - it arises from pure racism

Existential

HSC
N/A
Extrapolate: (verb) To estimate or conclude (something) in a certain way
Don't incorrectly use big words that you don't know the meaning of.

& Stop making multiple threads asking pretty much the same thing...
The general consensus is that usyd law is the best, and it'd be pretty foolish to go to macquarie if you actually got the required atar to go to usyd.
lol i failed with extrapolate, w/e.

also i never said i would do that so stop asserting that.

Existential

HSC
N/A
LOL, you don't sound smarter by using longer words.

Seems like you've created this thread at whirlpool as well. And also - lets be honest, youre a racist. your disgust with indigenous scholarships has nothing to do with any concern for aboriginals - it arises from pure racism
i wouldnt wouldnt call that a longer word but i did fail there nonetheless.... w/e.

wow.... whats disgusting is calling me racist because u disagree with me. mind you, a majority of those who did respond in that thread were not disagreeing. also if you have any problem with that thread take it up there not here.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Lets keep the two threads separate ^

In wrapping up - it doesn't matter. Both universities are fantastic and both are respected. Anyone who tries to imply that you will somehow be discriminated against based on the institution you got your arts degree from has no idea what they're talking about.

Have a look at the majors and subjects offered and make your decision that way. Obviously marks will also be an important part of this process.

tambam

HSC
wow.... whats disgusting is calling me racist because u disagree with me. mind you, a majority of those who did respond in that thread were not disagreeing. also if you have any problem with that thread take it up there not here.
Mate, the problem is that you somehow think that you should be entitled to free money, and should not be required to pay for your own educational or boarding expenses.
Are you actually financially disadvantaged in any way?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)