Marine science (1 Viewer)

dive246

i have applied for the marine science course at sydney uni as it is closer to home (6hrs) and has the course that i am looking for but last yr UAI was 80 or something. so newc at 70 is what ive got to fall back on. im just wondering wat it is like. what are the major things that the course studies? is there much practical/field work? etc. in other words is newc a good option or would i be better off waiting till 21 to get into Syd. any help would be greatly appreciated. also wats the diving/fishing like up there for us ocean lovers?

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
I don't think anyone on these boards does marine science...to find out whats in the course: check your UAC guide, or ring the uni (be put on hold for 2 hours, spend 2 hours getting transferred to the right place and hope to hell they're not on holidays) for that information...

Diving: there's the old wreck off Stockton, which is frequented a lot. And apparently its good diving under the Swansea Bridge as well.

Fishing: not sure about beach fishing, but you do need a lisence to fish out here in the lake (Lake Macquarie). It's good tho, my dad often comes home with a decent meal..

hope this helps!
SJ

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
As far as I'm aware, isn't marine science done as a major within the BSc? At Ourimbah?

If that is what you're talking about, I think you only get into the marine subjects in second and third year, first year is kept pretty generic.

As for diving, there are lots of great places to do it, be it in Port Stephens, off Newcastle itself or in the Lake. There is also NUDES, the uni diving club, I know a few people in it, they're all pretty cool.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
see? toldya Jess knows shit! u's didn't listen did you? huh? didn't wanna believe me did ya? huh? thought I was wacked in the head huh? ok wait maybe I am. What was I saying? oh yeah, jess knows stuff.. she does she does

dive246

thanx guys. not a lot of help but thanx for replying anyway. at least i know the fishing and diving is good... which is much more important to me than uni! ill know where to go if i ever make it up there. the way my exams are goin i probably wont get a good enough UAI anyways

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)