Mark Discrepancies (1 Viewer)

Jakulore

HSC
Hey everyone, I just wanted to ask you about mark discrepancies.

So basically, I got the marks back for a response I did for Module B which resulted in a mark discrepancy between my two teachers.
My main teacher decided to give me a 17/20 whilst my second teacher (a senior marker in the HSC) said he completely disagreed and gave me a 19/20. Ultimately, as would occur in the HSC they compromised and gave me an 18/20 (the highest in my cohort), but I was thinking, such a discrepancy could mean a significant difference in marks in the HSC, a difference of 10% (85-95) to me is rather large.

I know that such a discrepancy is common in the HSC and that in many cases, much larger discrepancies occur... But when such a discrepancy can lead to the difference between a mid Band 5 and a low-mid Band 6, are there any suggestions on how to prevent such discrepancies and to have my essay stand out as being in the top band? I haven't received my essay back yet, but I am aware that I lost marks due to the structure of my sentences (the length).

Thank you for any advice, if any, that you give me :D

leehuan

HSC

So basically, I got the marks back for a response I did for Module B which resulted in a mark discrepancy between my two teachers.
My main teacher decided to give me a 17/20 whilst my second teacher (a senior marker in the HSC) said he completely disagreed and gave me a 19/20. Ultimately, as would occur in the HSC they compromised and gave me an 18/20 (the highest in my cohort), but I was thinking, such a discrepancy could mean a significant difference in marks in the HSC, a difference of 10% (85-95) to me is rather large.

I know that such a discrepancy is common in the HSC and that in many cases, much larger discrepancies occur... But when such a discrepancy can lead to the difference between a mid Band 5 and a low-mid Band 6, are there any suggestions on how to prevent such discrepancies and to have my essay stand out as being in the top band? I haven't received my essay back yet, but I am aware that I lost marks due to the structure of my sentences (the length).

I don't think it's large at all in the final exam, because you have 2 papers, each with 3 sections to count. Not just that one essay.

The second half of the question is something I'll leave to something else, because that's basically asking for advice with English

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad

I think you find with English it is really depends on the markers. The thing that has to stand out is your introduction and the general flow of your essay. I wouldn't be worried too much, maybe ask for some feedback from the teacher that gave you 17; to get a range of opinions.

The other thing I would notice, is you are ranked at the top. 1 mark in trials difference (or 2 marks), does not equal a 10% difference.
Let say one marker gave you 85, and the other gave you 95 for instance, what you find is that you will get the average, it isn't a significant issue.
I wouldn't be too concerned with discrepancies themselves, and focus on improving your essay content, at the end of the day, if you put your effort in, despite whatever anyone else says, you did your best, irrespective of what band it ends up landing in.

Jakulore

HSC
Thanks, I know that it isn't a huge deal and I don't want to treat it as though it is, I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't anything else I should be doing that would prevent these discrepancies... After all, I want to maintain my top rank and get a Band 6 in the HSC for it. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)