Mark disparity? (1 Viewer)

Tangoto

poop
HSC
Man, I've been asking a lot of questions in this forum as of late.

Anyways, the average of my school's English half-yearlies was around 65%. I managed to score around 71%. From a direct standpoint, 71% is pretty shit. But does that matter entirely when the low average is taken into consideration?

Btw, if it helps, my school's ranked around 400s. So ehh.

edit: oh god I realized the thread title doesn't really relate to what I've said much at all. lol sorry.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
is this eng standard of eng advanced? In all depends on the lowest mark from your school. The higher it is, the better your moderated assessment mark will be. Remember wat u get in school is not actually wat you get in the hsc. It is just an indication for BOS to determine what mark you get.

Right now I have a course mark of 63 for eng adv but no one in my school gets like below 70. I am not ranked last either. So the mark for my moderated assessment mark should be around 75-80.

Just look at what people in ur school last year got if they were around the same rank as you. It gives a rough estimate of wat you get.

Tangoto

poop
HSC
So the higher the lowest mark for the exam the better? Not too good for me then. I remember hearing that some people failed.

Also Adv. English btw.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
basically so. If lowest is 60 everyone gets 60+ if lowest is 40 then everyone gets 40+.

I am also sure that almost no one gets less than 50 for english adv. ok exact details can be found from here.

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BDHSC_2009_12_15140.php

it says about 10% get 60-69, 37% get 70-79, 40% get 80-89. So estimate where you would place around in the state and you should get around that. I think i am in that 37% of people so my mark should be like 75. lol even though hoping for an 80

Last edited:

twistedrebel

HSC
trans4M where you coming up with this information, i m pretty sure its wrong. If that was the case whats stopping schools giving everyone 90+ for internals. I think you are getting confused that he is talking about internal marks, not external.
The board of studies looks at your ranks, in school and how your school went in the external examinations (HSC exam) then it moderates internal's based on internals. I.e ranked 1 gets highest external mark and so on.

Tangoto

poop
HSC
trans4M where you coming up with this information, i m pretty sure its wrong. If that was the case whats stopping schools giving everyone 90+ for internals. I think you are getting confused that he is talking about internal marks, not external.
The board of studies looks at your ranks, in school and how your school went in the external examinations (HSC exam) then it moderates internal's based on internals. I.e ranked 1 gets highest external mark and so on.
So if Person A comes first in all assessments, then comes second to Person B in externals, Person A's external marks would be scaled above Person B's?

That's what I'm getting here.

twistedrebel

HSC
Person A will take Person B's external mark. This external mark will become Person A's internal mark, and the exam mark will be w/e Person A got.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
my bad i should have said it more clearly.

Person A = 1st scored 85 in external
Person B = 2nd scored 90 in external

Person A will get 90 for their internal. Person B will get something around 85 as they try to reflect the moderated internal as much as they can to the schools given internal. There is an example given on the BOS.

Explanation of Aligning and Moderating Procedures for the Higher School Certificate - Board of Studies NSW

the only time when a mark reflects its rank is 1st and last. 1st person gets the highest external mark as their internal while last gets lowest external as internal. The rest of the marks in between do not correspond to their ranks. As in not neccesarily.

For instance if second highest mark was 85 for external, the person who came 2nd wouldnt necessarily get 85 as their internal. it could sometimes be more than 85 or even less. it depends on how the rest of grade does. Like mentioned in the link.

EDIT:
what i meant by estimate in earlier post is what i expect to get for my externals. I am guessing I would get around 75 for external and internals would probably around there as usually lowest in my school is like 65+ for internals.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)