• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Marketing? Finance? or Accounting? (1 Viewer)

PeT_peT

HSC
I want to do a double major but i am still not sure which two to pick. I originally wanted to do marketing but accounting would give you professional recognition. Does anyone have any advice? please keep in mind, i HATE calculations..

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
It depends on what you want to do with your life! If you don't like calculations and have no interest in numbers or money, like is involved with Accounting then don't take it as an elective. And depending on the uni you are going to you might not have to chose two majors but have a more in-depth marketing degree

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
can someone explain what a "double major" is? Is it the same as two majors?

coco_marli

HSC
mushroom_head said:
yes, a double major in accounting and marketing is the way to go! that's what i'm considering for next year
yeh the only thing is that if u end up choosing an accounting career, the marketing major probly wont help as much as if u chose a finance major. I had the same problem when i was choosing my majors last yr.....i really thought i might do accounting/marketing double major but in the end i thought that accounting and finance complemented eachother alot better. But its really up to u, I thought that accounting had a better career path where it wasnt as hard as marketing to get your foot through the door. But its realy all up to what works for you and what you are interested in........good luck!

ph04

I have the same dilemma. I want to go into marketing but I think I'll do accounting as one of my majors so that I'll have something to fall back on if it's too hard to break into marketing. I know they don't exactly complement each other and I've been told that finance/marketing is a better combination but I've been warned about the maths in finance. Gah...I'm so confused.

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
ph04 said:
I have the same dilemma. I want to go into marketing but I think I'll do accounting as one of my majors so that I'll have something to fall back on if it's too hard to break into marketing. I know they don't exactly complement each other and I've been told that finance/marketing is a better combination but I've been warned about the maths in finance. Gah...I'm so confused.
OMG! that's EXACTLY my situation! i don't have the confidence that i'll be successful in marketing, but as for accounting i'm sure i can find a job.
btw, i don't see how finance complements marketing. isn't similar to accounting?

ph04

mushroom_head said:
OMG! that's EXACTLY my situation! i don't have the confidence that i'll be successful in marketing, but as for accounting i'm sure i can find a job.
btw, i don't see how finance complements marketing. isn't similar to accounting?
Yeah I don't know enough about marketing graduate outcomes. As for how finance complements marketing, it's what I was told by a Usyd marketing lecturer at the open day. He was like, "There's no point doing say, Economics/Marketing, but of course Finance/Marketing is a good combination." Everyone around me nodded...so I idiotically didn't ask him to explain lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)