Marketing (1 Viewer)

The Thinker

"I can't get no sleep"
HSC
I'm considering doing marketing.......in general is marketing largely all theory which doesn't involve any numbers or maths? Reason i ask is because accounting is giving me the shits right now.....

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Have you read my guide to marketing? It's available in the Commerce Tertiary education forum. It's a sticky.

Marketing is about 70% theory, 30% practical. Doesn't involve much about numbers, apart from the marketing research subject

The Thinker

"I can't get no sleep"
HSC
Yeh i checked it out.....was really helpful in broadening my knowledge of marketing....thanks :)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Ultimately, I suggest you take the university major that corresponds to the field you see yourself working in upon graduation. If you want to be an accountant, bite your lip and survive the three years to become one. If a marketer, then there's not much need for accounting (although do 1A and 1B, as they're useful)

The Thinker

"I can't get no sleep"
HSC
Ideally my major would be in human resource management.

Would you say though in general that employers look for accounting 1A and 1B in your degree considering accounting is seen as something employers would like you to have some knowledge in?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I think accounting 1A and 1B are very useful for business, plus some employers may look for it, too.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
....you're a first year. youve only done the introductory subject.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
stazi said:
....you're a first year. youve only done the introductory subject.
stazi noob what's your opinion on the marketing research course MKGT1002 i think it is. I heard its statistics based which sounds shit but i need it if im to major marketing. Thoughts ?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
It's about 50% quantitative, and 50% qualitative. It's very important to working in the marketing profession.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Cheers. Just heard similar from someone else too.

it was either that, Stats 1B, metrics 1A, commercial law or some HR subject.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
isn't metrics 1A a prereq for mktg1002. at least it was when i did it :( i hope they havent changed that, or ill be sad that i had to go through ECMT1010 and deflate my WAM, whilst you guys dont.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Guess not. Sucks to be you. That's worrying though, i hate maths.

edit; Just checked

'Classes: 1 lecture and 1 tutorial per week

Assessment: Group project; Tutorial participation portfolio; Individual critique; Exams (mid-semester and final)

Pre-requisites: MKTG1001 (or MKTG2001)'

The Thinker

"I can't get no sleep"
HSC
I'm planning to major in marketing now.....can i get away with not doing Accounting 1A and Accounting 1B??? because i really don't wanna do it......just worried employers might really look for it in the marketing field

blakegman

HSC
N/A
The Thinker said:
I'm planning to major in marketing now.....can i get away with not doing Accounting 1A and Accounting 1B??? because i really don't wanna do it......just worried employers might really look for it in the marketing field
1A and 1B are core subjects for commerce..

Unless you do economics ?

The Thinker

"I can't get no sleep"
HSC
i do a bachelor of economic and social sciences so accounting is not necessary for my degree

blakegman

HSC
N/A
The Thinker said:
i do a bachelor of economic and social sciences so accounting is not necessary for my degree
oh right. Do they let you enroll in all the marketing subjects though.

I know my arts friends had to go throuhg heaps of shit just to od intro marketing.

Though i spose your in the same faculty. Seems like a strange degree to do marketing from though.

The Thinker

"I can't get no sleep"
HSC
yeh i have no idea why they moved bachelor of economic and social sciences from the commerce faculty to the arts.....i guess because of the social sciences bit......i'm sure i can do marketing cos its in my handbook and in the web that my degree allows for it....the good thing about my degree is its pretty flexible with your subject choices. I really hope employers don't look for accounting 1A and accounting 1B in marketing cos i went through accounting 1A in first semester and don't wanna re-live it again lol

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
The Thinker said:
yeh i have no idea why they moved bachelor of economic and social sciences from the commerce faculty to the arts
because some of the core components of BEcSocSci are ECOP and GOVT, both of which got moved to arts this year. same reason that international studies moved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)