Marking Guidelines! (1 Viewer)

HSC
I've noticed that in the science papers (chem & bio particularly) that only in the 7 markers is the word "concise" or "succinct" thrown around, meaning marks can be deducted for TOO much irrelevant information. HOWEVER, I do not see this in other questions with marks such as 6 or 5. Can they still mark down for not being concise?

With bio, the 5 markers I believe your answer needs to be detailed and my answers always go over the amount of lines provided... Will i get marked down for writing too much info?

:D

Last edited:
HSC
lol omg I have this problem (the one where I write two pages for a three mark question) and YES THEY CAN for chem and phys, it was a recent addition to the guidelines I think. Usually it only applies to the 7 mark questions because markers don't want to get bored reading lel. So make sure you are being concise (also they might do it for 6 marks so be careful there as well, you never know)

With other shorter questions, it shouldn't be a problem BUT remember that:
a) if you write too much, you have a greater chance of writing something factually incorrect/controversial and/or subjective, and as a result may lose marks you've already gained (because science sucks like that)
b) 5 mark questions especially have a "logical" answer mark thingy
true true!

Simile

HSC
N/A
But you have to make sure, becaus you need everything. I lost a mark for not having a keyword in the trials. Primarily, all aspects should be covered as in depth as possible.

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
I've noticed that in the science papers (chem & bio particularly) that only in the 7 markers is the word "concise" or "succinct" thrown around, meaning marks can be deducted for TOO much irrelevant information. HOWEVER, I do not see this in other questions with marks such as 6 or 5. Can they still mark down for not being concise?

With bio, the 5 markers I believe your answer needs to be detailed and my answers always go over the amount of lines provided... Will i get marked down for writing too much info?

:D
Bullshit. Marks cannot be deducted - once you've earned a mark, you've earned it. However, if it is not concise, they can reframe from awarding you a mark (so perhaps you'll get a 6-7/8 instead of 8/8 or whatever it's out of).

The markers are, to some extent, hypocrites. They expect so much (look at the sample answers) in a little amount lines (typically for the larger answers). But yes, being concise is important. HPF has provided some really good points. :)

Another point: having seen the standards package (and the books they sell), the exemplar responses for 8 markers have gone waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over the lines. I have a book for 2012 and the response had microscopic writing and went over the lines, and still, I assume, got full marks. I guess all the information was relevant. But, in all honesty, it's probably something not too many markers live and die by - if you write something that goes over the lines a bit and answers the question comprehensively, then you'll probably get full marks. However, if you write something that goes over the lines, and doesn't really answer the question, perhaps the conciseness dot point will come into play.

Then again, I'm not a HSC Marker, so I can't say anything with 100% certitude.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
My teacher is a HSC marker and he said for chem a couple of years ago only one person's paper that he marked got full marks using only the provided lines for the longest response. So I think the limit for 'concise' isn't dead strict even with the 7 markers, you're fine to go a little over the lines if you need the space.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)