marks for japanese (any level) (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
True to a point, but you must remember that in Japan a guest will quietly take note of all expenses incurred on his behalf and "reimburse" the host with a suitable gift at the end of their stay. Obviously as a student you can't take things like food etc into account, otherwise you'll be buying them a car by the time you leave. If they buy stuff especially for you though it's wise to take note and get something especially fitting when you leave.

kendra

i was wondering what you all thought of both the jap continuers and extention exams for HSC 2003..i'm a 04er and i'm doing jap cont and ext so just wondering

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
well for continuers i went through the whole year knowing the syllabus and everything, and didn't do that much revision before exams and basically relied on what i knew. i was always really relaxed, and basically.. relying simply on your knowledge takes you a long way. but being thoroughly prepared will take you further. i was confident about the course but only got mid band6, i'm sure if you took the extra time to find more sophisticated ways to say things, or have more complex sentence structures, a high band6 would be more achievable.

and for extension. be prepared for the speaking. the questions don't end up looking as daunting on the day. but yeah, make sure you do heaps of practise starting from months beforehand.. and i would definitely encourage memorising some good sentences to use early on, so that it's readily accessible when your mind is in a twist on the exam day. remember that speaking is in august or something early on like that.
and the writing component.. the first bit where you read an extract from the set text.. it's BULLSHIT BULLSHIT BULLSHIT. if you do alright in english, then it's a piece of cake. and for the other sections - prepare for them as much as you can by practising complex sentence structures etc.
i screwed up the speaking by quite a bit (the exam was on the saturday after my trials had finished.. i finished my notes at 4am and didn't know half of it) but ended up with 47/50 which isn't too bad. so yeah, don't be too worried if you screw up a bit here and there, but always be mindful about it, and try to compensate for it later on.

HSC
N/A
I forget my mark. It was higher than 95, though.

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Not always. Especially in Japan, where no matter HOW much your scholarship is worth, you ALWAYS run out of Yen. Tokyo is the most expensive city in the world after all... :(
The rent alone in Tokyo makes it makes it an impossible place to stay for a year or so (if you don't have a host family). It's far better to stay in a place like Kawagoe (my hometown) which is roughly a 20 minute drive to Tokyo.

Originally posted by Lexicographer
True to a point, but you must remember that in Japan a guest will quietly take note of all expenses incurred on his behalf and "reimburse" the host with a suitable gift at the end of their stay
A tip: Make it something Australian. Having been in Japan for less than a year will mean that the majority of places you visit will have been visited by your host family. Think about how thrilled you'd feel if you hosted a Japanese student here and they bought you a kangaroo doll. Same goes for over there. Make it something that is worth more than a birthday gift, and something Australian (even if it means importing it to Japan) so that they can put on display and remember you by it :)

karnevil

HSC
Originally posted by kt san
omg u make that sound bad...now u've upset me
cos i got 94/44
nah i was stoked with my marks. Carried me through the hsc pretty much, got me into the course I wanted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)