• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Marriage. Neccessary? (2 Viewers)

davin

HSC
N/A
from the male view of "a divorce means the woman gets all my stuff"... i look at marriage as basicly saying to someone that i believe in the relationship so much that i'll bet a portion of all the money i'll ever make that we can make things work

banco55

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Are marriages more stable than defacto relationships? Perhaps the symbolic action of a wedding etc makes people feel more connected to their spouse than they may otherwise feel.
Marriages used to be considerably harder to get out of before they changed the laws and there was still a stigma associated with being a divorcee. These days you can leave your wife/husband of 25 years for no good reason and noone will think the worse of you.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
banco55 said:
Marriages used to be considerably harder to get out of before they changed the laws and there was still a stigma associated with being a divorcee. These days you can leave your wife/husband of 25 years for no good reason and noone will think the worse of you.
Yea , but is there still some symbolic power in it?

K

katie_tully

I don't think it's necessary. My parents didn't get married until I was 7, and thats only because I used to come home from school and ask mum why her and dad had different surnames.

I hope to get married. I've discussed it with the guy I'm with now. We're only young, so we have no desire to get married any time soon, although we live together so we're in a serious committment. If we ever had children, I guess we'd marry for them. Also we're both from Catholic families, so I think we'd just marry to shut the religious fanaticals in the family up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)