• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Martial Arts Tutor Wanted (1 Viewer)

krissychops

HSC
I am an 18 year old female, living in the Wollongong, NSW area. I am looking for a private tutor to teach me the skills of self-defence and self discipline. I am interested in learning one or all of the three Chinese Internal Martial Arts: Ba Gua Zhang, Tai-Chi and Hsing I Chuan. And another form of martial arts including the use of hand held weapons whether it be nunchucks, long stick fighting, or with samurai swords. Even if you are not a PRIVATE tutor, please reply to krystle_4_4@hotmail.com with your contact details and name or leave an answer on this site.

UzurOger

Almost Sexy Bastard
HSC
well actually "samurai swords" as not Chinese their Japanese. Good luck finding someone with those qualifications

G.I.Joe

HSC
Hey, Firstly tai chi isnt a martial art, its designed for breathing, it can be used as a martial art but im not to sure how effective it is. In terms of martial arts i trained in wingtsun kung fu, sai, bo, kali ( stick fighting ). I highly recomend wintsun or wing chun, its one of the most practical self defences around and especially for women requires very little energy to move quite a large mass. It focuses alot on shifting weight and using chi energy. In terms of nunchaku i was going to learn them but they are really strict about it, since its a prohibited weapon i think you have to have atleast a blackbelt to train in it. Otherwise if you can find some one who is willing to teach you, you can apply for a weapons licence from the police, but then again you have to be able to back it up quite with quite a bit of information... For example instructor... instructors schooll credientials and that kind of thing.

Mr.M

HSC
umm actually Tai Chi is a martial art, its an internal art which means it relys on the ideals of Chi manipiulation to take you enemy down, but has a bad rep because its so slow but its very useful for older people or injured people, if i could find a decent place i would definatly take a few lessons in it.

and Krissychops, if you are interested in learning a martial art my sugestion is to go to the local community centers around you and see what they have to offer. most centers have at least one club which teaches martial arts. look at what is availiable before you say which art you want to do, especially if you have little experience.

the other thing is, you might be biting of more than you can chew wanting to start several arts, for it can take years and years to learn the basics of one style! a black belt is just the begining. so pick a place give it a month or so of your time and see what they are like, tell the sensei/kancho/sufu/instructor or whatever, what you want to achieve and if its a good school they will try to cater for you.

Individualised instruction is also very expensive and in some respects not as good because you have no one to put yourself against in skill level or in sparring.

And g.i. Joe, YOU dont need a permit to use nunchaku just as long as your instructor has one and you only use his weapons. the permit from the police isnt based on a belt thing either, you just have to justify why you want the weapons.

the last thing, make sure your not going to a place that promises you a " black belt in a year" or anything, these are known as mcdojos and generally dont teach anything practical and are just money making schemes. you can tell them by really high membership prices, huge classes, lots of little kid black belts, and making you pay for all your instruction up front. try and find a place where you can pay by the class.

well thats all i have for now, if you have any other questions just let me know

Ktulu-Spiral

HSC
N/A
Krissy, do you want to learn a martial art or practical self-defense?

I did a lot of research into the practicality of various styles and forms before I chose a style. I concluded that 75% of the styles out there are either useless/flawed, or take too long to become effective.

I chose the most practical style I could find, which also happens to be one of the most brutal, Muay Thai, commonly known as Thai Kickboxing.

Here's some good info. on it... http://members.aol.com/Thaiboxing2000/muay.html

From the website...

"Earlier in 1974, kung fu stylists from Hong Kong were all knocked out in the first round against their Muay Thai opponents in Bangkok. Indeed, Muay Thai have consistently conquered other striking arts. I'm not talking about just one or two matches when I say consistent!"

Another good style is Brazilian JiuJitsu, and for total self defense, a lot of people combine Muay Thai with BJJ, one provides the stand-up striking techniques, while another provides gound-work grappling techniques. This is the path followed by a lot of MMA fighters in UFC and Vale Tudo style competitions.

Styles like Kung Fu, various Karate styles (Perhaps excluding Kyokushin), Systema, et cetera, consistently fail when tested against other styles in a live fighting environment. Judo and traditional JiuJitsu are alright, but Brazilian JiuJitsu is a better alternative to both of them. Krav Maga could be okay, I haven't seen enough to really give an opinion, except they do teach knife-defense techniques, when any serious martial artist knows that knife-defense is a myth. Then there's Bruce Lee's style, Jeet Kune Do, which IMO can be effective depending on the quality of the instructor.

Kung Fu and lot's of other Chinese Martial Arts might look good, but a lot of these fighters have never been absolutely smashed from one side of the ring to the other like Muay Thai fighters have, so when they step into the ring, they aren't battle-hardened.

Or, look into BJJ, as a Muay Thai fighter, I know that if a BJJ guy gets me on the ground, it's all over. Nothing comes close to BJJ in respect to ground-fighting and grappling. A combo of the two styles works well as a total self-defense system.

On the other hand, if you're set on the Chinese styles, then go for it, but if you want practical self-defense, then I'd avoid the Chinese Martial Arts.

Last edited:

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
Ktulu-Spiral said:
Kung Fu and lot's of other Chinese Martial Arts might look good, but a lot of these fighters have never been absolutely smashed from one side of the ring to the other like Muay Thai fighters have, so when they step into the ring, they aren't battle-hardened.
I agree with the above. I do chinese kung fu...

You've hit the nail on the head: battle hardness. If you aren't consistently looking for fights or getting into some serious sparring, whatever you learn will fail you when you are face with a real life/death situation. If you want results, be prepared for some PAIN!

so, I disagree that chinese martial arts is useless. Any martial art is useless if you aren't prepared to work for it.

I do some regular sparring during each lesson where i go, and i can hold my own (for a few seconds; he's a champ) against my senior instructor. My MASTER kicks ass. I'm not the type to pick fights regularly at school, but as long as i'm not fighting my master... lol... So on those grounds, i'd consider myself maybe around 60% ready for a real world fight

Ktulu-Spiral said:
Or, look into BJJ, as a Muay Thai fighter, I know that if a BJJ guy gets me on the ground, it's all over. Nothing comes close to BJJ in respect to ground-fighting and grappling. A combo of the two styles works well as a total self-defense system.

On the other hand, if you're set on the Chinese styles, then go for it, but if you want practical self-defense, then I'd avoid the Chinese Martial Arts.
Don't avoid them, just look for a competent instructor.

BlitzSpade

HSC
well depends if you really want to only do chinese kung fu derivatives for self-defence, fitness or just looking awesome. If you really want something practical go do parkour, although you don't fight it allows you to defend yourself by moving and running away in short - may sound a little pussy but it has its advantages, you aren't going to fight a terrorist attack etc; its also a fine place to move, you can tell me if your interested and i can help you find some people that do parkour up there. And if you do find a qualified master that would be awesome - tell us all im itching to learn something new

funkyj

HSC
Thai chi is a form of martial art but is used mostly by older people as a form of exercise so it's done slowly. However in an actual fight, it is different. It can be quick and effective against a strong opponent. I think Jet Li demonstrated it in one of his movie 'Once Upon a Time in China' but I can't remember which part it was.

Yeah I agree that most Kung Fu Fighters have good aesthetic styles but won't make it against a the Muah Thai boxers as they're not conditioned to being hit hard like them. The ring is their battleground whereas kungfu has a different environment. However I wouldn't put them down as there're so many forms of kungfu and instructor varies so much in skills. Bruce Lee himself had at least 10 different instructors some of which are from shaolin and he took whatever skills that was effective in each form and developed his own style. He kept incorporating new moves of different forms into his style. I saw some biography of him where he fought against many fighters including Muah Thai fighters(off tournament) and beat them. So I think it all depends actually, each form has its strength and weaknesses.

Last edited:

funkyj

HSC
Thai chi is a form of martial art but is used mostly by older people as a form of exercise so it's done slowly. However in an actual fight, it is different. It can be quick and effective against a strong opponent. I think Jet Li demonstrated it in one of his movie 'Once Upon a Time in China' but I can't remember which part it was.

Yeah I agree that most Kung Fu Fighters have good aesthetic styles but won't make it against a the Muah Thai boxers as they're not conditioned to being hit hard like them. The ring is their battleground whereas kungfu has a different environment. However I wouldn't put them down as there're so many forms of kungfu and instructor varies so much in skills. Bruce Lee himself had at least 10 different instructors some of which are from shaolin and he took whatever skills that was effective in each form and developed his own style. I saw some biography of him where he fought against many fighters including Muah Thai fighters(off tournament) and beat them. So it all depends actually, each form has its strength and weaknesses.

andykillz

HSC
Well if you want to do tai chi, I would suggest going down to the local park early in the morning in an asian suburb. There will usually be a few seniors doing tai chi. They look wise and mighty to me :D

Shaolin southern style ftw :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)