Marx and the annales (1 Viewer)

SmokedSalmon

HSC
Hey everyone,

I guess we are all doing some last minute desperate cramming or else just patiently waiting for the history ext. exam, all prepared. I am the latter and well frankly I'm bored cause I know my historians. Can someone explain to me if its essential to learn Marx and the annales stuff? It seems to be the only topic I have missed out. Would it be worth going over? And if anyone is nice just give me a lil nice summary of it? :D

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Im not talking about Annales at all.
But...from memory,
Annales use an interdisclipinary approach.
They take into account external factors that create events, such as weather, geography, ego..

arls

okay.. just because ive had enough stuyding.. and im feeling very generous and i was studying taht stuff just an hour ago..

I think if you havent learnt it now dont really go cramming in stuff that dont fit.. but hey? if your willing to prove me wrong and take on the challenge go ahead!!!

Karl Marx 1818-83
influenced by: He was journalist NOT typical historian. was not apart of the upper class. agreed with communist ideologies. influenced by the fighting between france and germany at the time, conflict between countries around him.... seeking solutions to this world problems..

main work:

presented in his work 1848 'the communist manifesto' which he wrote with Engels, yet Marx did not live long enough to explain exactly what his ideas meant.. they were a little ambiguous.. so Engels explained to the world waht he 'thought' Marx ideas were.. (really impressing many of his own ideas instead of marx's..)

main idea of the book: that history is based around class conflict which is based on economic production (basically that money has created all problems in the world.. )
marx's presented his opinion of the world since the ancients.. and then what the future might hold ... future ie communism taht the lower class would over throw the capitalist and basically every one would live in harmony together in a utopia.

okay.. so the effect of karl marx??
1.) basis of communist countries ideology (ie stalin.. Mao china.. Korea and vietnam..) these countries took only the parts of the marx ideology that they preferred.. and left the rest.. ie history can be manipulated to suit interests (just like evidence is up to interpretation of the historian.)
2.) communist historians from non communist countries used the ideas ... i dont have any examples of this!!!
3.) Non communist historians from non communist countries employed the ideology.. for example feminists yet they took the angle taht not only were there class conflicts due to economic production but also gender conflicts due to similar/diverse reasons.. eg Sheil Rowbottham..

so basically, in conclusion.. rather than the typical historian who looks at the ruling class as essential to history... marx looked at the ruling class as being detrimental to society which was fostered by societies obsession with economy and production... this led historians to analyse history in a different light and led to the annales school..

annales school.. im really too tired to write about that ... but check out your text book.. its pretty straight forward and leads off from marx's stuff....

so it is a lil more complex than first expected.. good luck! itl be a good challenge eh?

arls

no worries.. good luck for tomorow... hope to see u on the other side .... actually no i doubt i will be on the bos after my exam... i think ill be down the pub or past out on the floor from sheer exhaustion!

hope theyre nice to us with the question n all :)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by arls
okay.. just because ive had enough stuyding.. and im feeling very generous and i was studying taht stuff just an hour ago..

I think if you havent learnt it now dont really go cramming in stuff that dont fit.. but hey? if your willing to prove me wrong and take on the challenge go ahead!!!

Karl Marx 1818-83
influenced by: He was journalist NOT typical historian. was not apart of the upper class. agreed with communist ideologies. influenced by the fighting between france and germany at the time, conflict between countries around him.... seeking solutions to this world problems..

main work:

presented in his work 1848 'the communist manifesto' which he wrote with Engels, yet Marx did not live long enough to explain exactly what his ideas meant.. they were a little ambiguous.. so Engels explained to the world waht he 'thought' Marx ideas were.. (really impressing many of his own ideas instead of marx's..)

main idea of the book: that history is based around class conflict which is based on economic production (basically that money has created all problems in the world.. )
marx's presented his opinion of the world since the ancients.. and then what the future might hold ... future ie communism taht the lower class would over throw the capitalist and basically every one would live in harmony together in a utopia.

okay.. so the effect of karl marx??
1.) basis of communist countries ideology (ie stalin.. Mao china.. Korea and vietnam..) these countries took only the parts of the marx ideology that they preferred.. and left the rest.. ie history can be manipulated to suit interests (just like evidence is up to interpretation of the historian.)
2.) communist historians from non communist countries used the ideas ... i dont have any examples of this!!!
3.) Non communist historians from non communist countries employed the ideology.. for example feminists yet they took the angle taht not only were there class conflicts due to economic production but also gender conflicts due to similar/diverse reasons.. eg Sheil Rowbottham..

so basically, in conclusion.. rather than the typical historian who looks at the ruling class as essential to history... marx looked at the ruling class as being detrimental to society which was fostered by societies obsession with economy and production... this led historians to analyse history in a different light and led to the annales school..

annales school.. im really too tired to write about that ... but check out your text book.. its pretty straight forward and leads off from marx's stuff....

so it is a lil more complex than first expected.. good luck! itl be a good challenge eh?
That is good.. Perhaps it would also be worth mentioning Marx as a systematic thinker, in that his theory is one that is meant to apply to all history, all history being the history of class struggle. Additionally, in believing that the progression of humanity would eventually result in Communism, Marx's method is applying the Hegelian dialectic to history.

In the 'systematic'/modernist sense, Marx can be briefly linked to the Whig historians..

arls

sorry.. i got u until the words...Hegelian dialectic .. what the???? and then i was confused again..... 'systematic'/modernist sense, Marx can be briefly linked to the Whig historians.. wahhhh wahht the ????

are these important details or minor ones taht arent so important.. in the words of a famous politician from long long ago... could u... please explain??

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by arls
sorry.. i got u until the words...Hegelian dialectic .. what the???? and then i was confused again..... 'systematic'/modernist sense, Marx can be briefly linked to the Whig historians.. wahhhh wahht the ????

are these important details or minor ones taht arent so important.. in the words of a famous politician from long long ago... could u... please explain??
Sorry.. Ok, to briefly explain; (And these aren't particularly important.. Pretty esoteric actually..)

The term 'Hegelian Dialectic' refers to the eighteenth century philosopher Hegel, who introduced a system of logical progression towards a resolution, often used for philosophical disputes.. Marx applied this system to history.

I mean 'Systematic' in that they see a single system guiding all history, and the Whigs also saw history as a progression towards a better society...

arls

sure that makes sense now.. thanks gregor.. just a few extra tit bits i might remember to enhance my answer.... good thing they wernt huge important details that i somehow missed!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)