Marxist Analysis of King Lear (1 Viewer)

ITimber

HSC
Hi,

I know the very very basics of marxism, but not in great detail and I'm finding it hard to write about a marxist perspective of King Lear.

Was wondering if anyone could help me out on better understanding marxism and how to relate it with King Lear. Also if anyone has examples of writing tasks or essays that would be great.

Thanks

jebemti

HSC
Hi,

I have exactly the same problem i know the basics of marxism but i have no clue on how to look at king lear through a marxist or feminist perspective, we have an assessment on either reading on the first scene act I and i have no idea

any help would be grateful..

ITimber

HSC
Surely someone out there has done marxist critical analysis of King Lear or knows some stuff to help out here.

Would be much appreciated. Thanks

teanido

HSC
N/A
I'm sticking to an existentialist interpretation of King Lear, I only have the basics, but really all you need is to use wikipedia and get a general idea of what the major themes are, and then analyse their existence in King Lear...

Something to do with money and land probably in a Marxist reading, potentially politics. Then again I'm clueless to that.

steffiduck

HSC
According to my everwise english teacher, marxism is all about total equality with a single party incontrol of this equality...and something about how everyone owns an equal share of everything (blah blah blah)... you should research the marxist philosophy (ie type in "marxism" into wikipedia )

I hope some people out there can be more insightful than me, though, cause our teacher won't tell us anything worth remembering

steffiduck

HSC
eg this sort of stuff:

*an attention to the material conditions of people's lives, and lived relations between people
*a belief that peoples' consciousness of the conditions of their lives are reflections of these material conditions and relations
*an understanding of "social class" in terms of differing relations to production, and as a particular position within such relations
*an understanding of material conditions and social relations as historically malleable
*a view of history in terms of conflict between classes with opposing interests
*a sympathy for the working class
*a belief that the ultimate interests of workers best match those of humanity in general.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)