Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1 Viewer)

promimad

HSC
I personally think that he planned to hold up a liquor store or gas station or something like that.

00iCon

HSC
Try CIT? While CIT isnt as famous as MIT but sometimes it out ranks MIT and the two schools really hate each other.
I'd like to go to either, maybe as third year uni, but i'm still gonna attempt the SAT. Is there a thread about the SAT? like how it works and how subject tests work?

Ben1220

HSC
Interesting info for Aussies applying to MIT.

- Heard recently from a very reputable source that MIT has an unofficial policy of accepting only 1 australian a year.

Good luck people.

FYI these are last year's statistics:

- Harvard accepted 4
- Yale accepted 6
- MIT (1)

and MIT has consistently kept their aussie admissions numbers at 1.

Oh and I second sikhman - there are no such thing as merit based "scholarships" for the top US schools (Stanford, MIT) or the Ivies. So anyone talking about "getting a scholarship" is inaccurate.

Wiki "need blind admissions" : Need-blind admission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The top schools will admit without regard to whether or not you can pay. They're exclusive enough that you need to be the best of the best to get in in the first place. If they want you, they'll foot ALL the bills for you (intl flights included). That said, you're going to have to overcome the <10% admissions rate first.

ETA:

PS. To the OP, you can no longer apply to MIT for the class entering september 2010. Application deadline was 31st Dec/1st January. MIT also had extra deadlines (I think interviews had to be scheduled before December 15th). If you do apply, I'm afraid you're going to have to wait another year.

Thats very interesting, where did you get the statistics on the number of Australians being accepted from?

X

xeuyrawp

- Heard recently from a very reputable source that MIT has an unofficial policy of accepting only 1 australian a year.

Good luck people.

FYI these are last year's statistics:

- Harvard accepted 4
- Yale accepted 6
- MIT (1)

and MIT has consistently kept their aussie admissions numbers at 1.
... wtf? Sorry, but I have to call bullshit on all of that unless you provide a decent source (I'll apologise then).

Around those numbers probably naturally occur, but I doubt they're intentional. I personally know five Aussies who got into Yale in the same year, and only in two different departments.

As I said elsewhere, you need to remember the (relatively) tiny acceptance amount for these famous unis. Really, the low acceptance of Aussies is statistical problem.

X

xeuyrawp

(bunch of BS with no sources)
pwaryuex said:
Sorry, but I have to call bullshit on all of that unless you provide a decent source (I'll apologise then).
Not sure how that was unclear??? Citing some vague people really isn't a decent source.

wendybird said:
I trust those sources, but I did say "about" those figures. Perhaps one or two more, but no more than that.
Yeah well tbh I don't trust you.

Ben1220

HSC
You also have to remember that very very few Australians even apply for undergraduate degrees at the ivy league. You would expect that the students who would consider applying would be students who would do a proper academic degree like Arts or Science if they were to stay in Australia, since that is what they would be doing at the ivy league. And just looking at how many students actually choose science or arts in Australia compared to all the other double degrees and technical / vocational / professional degrees shows that there probably isn't really that much interest in the ivy league. I'm sure that if many more who had a chance applied, the acceptance rates for Australians would go up quite a lot.

The other thing is that entrance to good universities in USA has much less to do with your results in highschool exams and tests, and much more to do with a series of tests, called the SAT, which is a little like the GAT in Australia. American students spend a very long time preparing for the SAT, and so Australian students can be at a disadvantage here, since they aren't surrounded by the same motivational SAT preparation culture.

jeffsmith

HSC
Beside MIT is very hard to get in.. you gotta be very targetted. and will need a full power pack startegic learning..

ming mong

HSC
My friend is thinking of studying graduate chem engineering at MIT (she's crazy and willing to pay the entire whatever-thousand-dollars as an international student). Do graduate students need to take SAT? And does she need to study undergrad engineering chem?

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
My friend is thinking of studying graduate chem engineering at MIT (she's crazy and willing to pay the entire whatever-thousand-dollars as an international student). Do graduate students need to take SAT? And does she need to study undergrad engineering chem?
ummm no chem engineering background and doing a postgrad at MIT? shes gonna have a bad time.

grads dont need SATs that's only for undergrads. I don't think there's a separate fee for domestic/international for MIT since its a private uni.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
haha lol. why is she going to have a bad time?
Well how can you expect someone to even remotely understand what they are doing in post-graduate Chemical Engineering if they lack the fundamentals in Chemical Engineering?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)