• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Massively Overthinking Subject Selection Send Help (1 Viewer)

iknewthisatschool

HSC
Last term we chose our subjects for year 11 and 12.
Initially i chose english adv, 3u maths, economics, business studies, enterprise computing and hospitality VET
But now im really reconsidering hospitality VET because is it really worth it? i just chose it as a subject to not be stressed about but over the term im rethinking it
one of my friends said to take ancient history bc im interested in it but im average at maths and english so i really want to make sure i devote most of my time to it and ancient history being a heavy subject that will stop that. BUT i was going to drop wtv that i pick (any subject that comes in place of hospitality vet will be dropped in yr 12 because im dropping hospo if i keep it anyways) my options so far to replace hospo have been :

ancient history - im interested in ancient history, but im not enough of a fanatic to devote such amounts of time to the roman and greek empires. (no but like if i pick this and dont score super well in prelims does it tank my early entry or sumn bc no way im handling all my subjects like that i was just expecting to neglect ancient and just sit in class and learn about the ancient world bc that seems fun)
Physics - its like math kind of? is my only argument towards myself but i do not like science that much (i dropped every other science so hard bc who wants to do chem or bio but hey its only a year?)

these are the only ones i've found as replacement any suggestions and advice is very much needed. if you guys think of any other subjects that could be good too.

Last edited:
HSC
i do ancient and did hopso in y11. lowkey hospo is a pre free subject if you're dropping considering they don't grade you I'm pre sure, it's some other system (at least for y11), but the downside is the 35h of mandatory work placement which is pretty annoying. ancient history is pre easy to cram for, it shouldn't tank your early entry if you do bad given you do decentish in your other subjects

Last edited:

Herbs!

HSC
If you're going to drop it anyways I'd rather stick with Hospo knowing you'll do well. Do ancient history over physics since you do a lot of writing=based subjects so you'll be more prepared on how to write essays and stuff.

You could do food technology if you want to cook something from your lessons like hospo.

iknewthisatschool

HSC
i do ancient and did hopso in y11. lowkey hospo is a pre free subject if you're dropping considering they don't grade you I'm pre sure, it's some other system (at least for y11), but the downside is the 35h of mandatory work placement which is pretty annoying. ancient history is pre easy to cram for, it shouldn't tank your early entry if you do bad given you do decentish in your other subjects
yeah hospo seemed fun for the food and some freetime but i think ill go w ancient the 35hr work placement threw me off too bc no one told me when i picked the subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)