Master of IT (1 Viewer)

ziggyboy

HSC
I'm currently a 3rd year computer science student at Wollongong Uni and I'm looking at doing the MIT program next year. I've noticed that the MIT program has both 3rd year and graduate-level UNSW subjects like Operating Systsms, Advanced OS, Comp Architecture, etc. I was wondering if anyone here has done these subjects (as undergrads, honours or grad students). I understand they're the same subjects with just different course codes. I've done OS here at UOW but it doesn't have any programming whatsoever, and we don't have Digital System Structures as well. Do you think I'll survive doing Advanced OS and Comp Arch with these deficiencies?

I've browsed through the UNSW subject websites and noticed that generally your assignments are a bit more challenging...

sunny

meh.
HSC
I've done Comp Arch and DSS...not OS yet, but I'm sure somebody else here has. Its strange you have no programming in OS. OS here is well known to be one of the hardest COMP subjects. OS and Comp Arch are fairly different subjects though there is overlapping course content.....

ziggyboy

HSC
We used the book "Operating System Concepts" by Silberschatz. I guess that's all we studied...concepts. Does Comp Arch depend much on DSS? I also have never done any assembly. Which subject requires or has assembly in it?

sunny

meh.
HSC
DSS is a pre req for Comp Arch. DSS doesn't really have any assembly in it, but Comp Arch does and it teaches MIPS. Microprocessors (COMP3221) has alot more assembly involved.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
sunny said:
I've done Comp Arch and DSS...not OS yet, but I'm sure somebody else here has. Its strange you have no programming in OS. OS here is well known to be one of the hardest COMP subjects. OS and Comp Arch are fairly different subjects though there is overlapping course content.....
I am currently taking OS, and yes, there is a substantial amount of coding.

Based on what I have seen so far of OS, to do Adv OS you would want a very strong C and Assembler background.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)