Master of Professional Accounting and other question (1 Viewer)

MissSarajevo

HSC
Is this course similar to B Com Accounting?

if I couldnt find a graduate job will it be worth continuing higher education (post graduate course). Right now I have B Com (accounting) degree. Any insight, experience, recommendation is highly appreciated.

I watched ABC lateline business last night and it says lots of students return to Uni for post grad studies because they cant find jobs or laid off from work.

As the economic downturn worsens, many university graduates are losing their jobs while others are struggling to find work. But rather than joining the dole queues, unemployed graduates are seeing out the tough times by heading back to university.
ABC News - Video - Top Stories of the day in video click page 2 and scroll down to watch

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Eh, the MPA seems to me to be a bit of a wank really. If you have done a B.Com (Acc) I don't really see the additional employment opportunities that would open up to you all of a sudden by spending a year doing the MPA. :/

In my experience, it seems to be more a degree that International Students take up, the other countries place a lot more emphasis in business on masters level qualifications.

Considering the cost involved, i'd look elsewhere if you're trying to decide on post grad studies for 2010. Maybe take it on later down the track when your employed, if you still find it relevant then.

MissSarajevo

HSC
Yeah I read the course outline and it seems to be designed for graduates without accounting background.

Which post grad course do you recommend?

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Yeah I read the course outline and it seems to be designed for graduates without accounting background.

Which post grad course do you recommend?
That's not really up to me to be making a recommendation on what you should be studying.

Consider what interests you, what you want to achieve from it, and how it ties in with your broader career path. You shouldn't be doing postgrad because it's a decision you've made solely based on an apparent tight market for grad jobs in banking/finance/accounting. Do further study because you've identified an interest you want to learn more about.

Honours is a good starting point for this, that allows you to research an area of interest, whilst still keeping your options available outside of academe.

Pace_T

HSC
thats a useless degree in australia. keep trying to find a job and get stuck into studying for your CA. becoming a CA + a few years experience will be the better way to go about things.

Monstar

HSC
Are you from macq uni? The masters degree is pretty useless..

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Seems to be a little bit of confusion in this thread. The MPA is designed for graduates with no accounting background who want to be an accountant and go through with CPA/CA. It is generally of no use to a BCom (Accounting) grad (assuming they have satisfied the relevant CPA/CA rules).

You are better off trying for a job at a small or mid tier office, and if you really can't find a job, question yourself why you didn't get the job and fix up those areas. Post grad study is pretty useless for accounting. Or perhaps do a master of finance or something related? Having two degrees which are analagous is really something the interviewers will quiz you on and doesn't look good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)