Master of Professional Accounting (1 Viewer)

jotterbook

HSC
N/A
Anyone taking this course? How is it? Does it allows for a career switch? I'm an engineer but I really wish to switch career and I am looking at the accounting field with great interest

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
jotterbook said:
Anyone taking this course? How is it? Does it allows for a career switch? I'm an engineer but I really wish to switch career and I am looking at the accounting field with great interest
Yeah, it does (stats/ intro accounting courses may be credited to your degree). Go to the Faculty of Commerce & Economics website: www.fce.unsw.edu.au

centrum

HSC
N/A
i'm taking it, but i am from an economics background. most engineers that i have met in postgrad commerce are doing a masters of technological mangement (i think that's what it's called) or someting fiance related.

as for the actual degree, it's pretty easy if you study full time. but if you work at the same time, it might be a bit of a bitch.

jotterbook

HSC
N/A
centrum said:
i'm taking it, but i am from an economics background. most engineers that i have met in postgrad commerce are doing a masters of technological mangement (i think that's what it's called) or someting fiance related.

as for the actual degree, it's pretty easy if you study full time. but if you work at the same time, it might be a bit of a bitch.
so glad to find one current student here... :) how big is the corhort? also, how long is this program? from what i can gathered, unsw is strong in accounting.. how true is that? and what's the job prospect like for graduates of this program?

really appreciate if you can clear my doubts!

centrum

HSC
N/A
jotterbook said:
so glad to find one current student here... :) how big is the corhort? also, how long is this program? from what i can gathered, unsw is strong in accounting.. how true is that? and what's the job prospect like for graduates of this program?

really appreciate if you can clear my doubts!
how big is it? not really sure. a couple hundred students, including those under the old degree name masters of commerce (prof acc.)?

yeah, the accounting teaching is pretty good. the lecturers seem to be more friendly and approachable than at sydney uni. they give you the tutorial solutions to work through too. i guess the tough part of the course is that one subject is like 2 undergrad subjects squashed into one. since you're from an engineering background, you should be able to handle that tho (full time that is)....

the course has 13 subjects (from memory) and you can get 4 exemptions for stuff like intro economics, stats, law, etc. the length of the program for me is 1 and 1/2 yrs. but i got 4 exemptions. and am doing 3 subj a semester, so i can get high grades. so i guess it all depends on how you are going to study....i think 4 subjects a semester is a lot of work, but heaps of ppl do it that way (full time)...

as far as job prospects go, that's the reason i'm doing the course. b/c accounitng is so sought after. i think they gave us a stat that 50% of the course is local, and 50% international. so, those internaital students might go back home, instead of competing for a job here. the degree also is accredited to the CA and CPA progrmas. other threads have info on this as well i think.

so basically, the degree is very similar to the undergrad material, except it's compressed and some ppl might have done some of the material before. if you want to do accounting, this is the best course to get started IMO. but it might take longer and be harder if you work part time. hope this helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)