Masters in something thats not your undergrad (1 Viewer)

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Random question but I heard of someone whod done an undergraduate arts degree but was wanting to do a post graduate masters in something science related.

How exactly does that work? How do people in general do a post graduate in something very different to their undergraduate? Isnt there a certain level of knowledge required for a post graduate degree that they just wouldnt have?

zhiying

HSC
I think it's pretty common to do Masters in something unrelated to your undergraduate. For my course (actuarial), there is a masters program for those who did actuarial undergrad, and one for those who didn't. The latter one starts from the very basics, but I think you still need some very basic math knowledge, e.g. calculus etc.

Some masters programs simply don't have a undergraduate equivalent either. Best example I can think of is the very popular MBA, masters of business administration, which is taken up by lot's of people from a variety of undergraduate backgrounds who wishes to become senior managers etc. in their company.

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
That makes a lot more sense. Was thinking there was something I was missing. How does one differentiate between the two. Like are they advertised differently?

enoilgam

HSC
How exactly does that work? How do people in general do a post graduate in something very different to their undergraduate? Isnt there a certain level of knowledge required for a post graduate degree that they just wouldnt have?
It depends largely on the masters course and the assumed knowledge component. Obviously, for a Masters in Law or Medicine, you would need the appropriate bachelors degree, but for other areas like Business, Education and the Arts, any undergraduate degree will do.

Which Masters program were you thinking of doing?

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
None yet just as I said heard it in a conversation and had me wondering so I thought Id ask on here to clear it up

D94

HSC
N/A
A while back, I was speaking to someone who is doing a Bachelors in aerospace engineering with the overall aim of doing a PhD in mining engineering since she wanted to go into space/planetary mining. Although they aren't polarising like Arts and Science, they are still two very different fields.

MBA is a good example, as said above. They are definitely advertised differently - they are generally run by separate faculties, so a Masters in Engineering would have a different administration than a Masters in Arts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)