Masters of Commerce (Finance) (1 Viewer)

Steven12

Lord Chubbington
HSC
Hi Guys,

I have just recently completed a bachelor degree in engineering(chemical), and wish to head into something more finance related, I think I would be very interested in heading into a career path in stockbroking or fund management, so naturally I thought doing Mcom majoring in finance would make sense, I just got a couple of questions and if anyone could help that would be great:

(1) It seems that 2 majors is the norm for Mcom, or do more people just select a single major, and filled the rest of the slots (other than prerequsite core courses) with electives and more core units? Is this really down to preference or having 2 majors give you more advantages?

(2) I wish to accelerate Mcom by doing 6 units per year, 2 units in winter break , 2 units for 1st semester, 2 for 2nd semester, Master to be completed in 2 years, is this achievable?

(3) If I want to get a job in investment banking sector, Mcom(finance) is the way to go? I was looking at Mcom(finance and international business) as well which looks quite attractive.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
If you want to work in ibanking, dont bother with the MCom. You'll just waste 20k. Ibanking doesnt need a finance major.

Get some work experience, that will help more.

Steven12

Lord Chubbington
HSC
Well I don't have any commerce background so I think it would highly dubious to be able to get a job in investment banking sector without any qualification, I understand that having work experience is important but even so, I doubt it would be a hard decision for a company to choose between someone with a degree (finance) and work experience, and somone who simply have work experience.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well I don't have any commerce background so I think it would highly dubious to be able to get a job in investment banking sector without any qualification, I understand that having work experience is important but even so, I doubt it would be a hard decision for a company to choose between someone with a degree (finance) and work experience, and somone who simply have work experience.
Actually no. My friend did a maths degree and is an ibanker to be. Most grads in the UK are economics or maths or physics grads and go into IB.

MCom will be a waste of money and time.

Steven12

Lord Chubbington
HSC
yeah well okay...... I don't know, perhaps a graduate diploma would be sufficient then.

But your friends sound like they will be the people in finance engineering, calculatings yields for complex derivatives and such..... I was thinking more like fund management kind of stuff.....

I dont know, it is a very expensive degree (Mcom), 33k all up....

HSC
Okay well i know i'm half a year late to the convo but thought i'd reply for future reference in case anyone else is interested.
I'm currently halfway through a M Comm p/t at USyd after an undergraduate arts degree. Finding it quite interesting, moderately challenging at times. Personally i reckon if you've just finished an undergrad, give the career a try first!

To answer your questions:
1. Most people only do one major. I was doing two (Marketing and Finance) however planning an exchange semester next year and that disqualifies me from the mktg major as they don't count. I don't know if it gives you more of an advantage but that sounds a bit dubious.

2. Masters you only do 12 subjects. Full time it is only 1.5 years. You could probably do it in one year but choices of summer school and winter school subjects are seriously limited - they tend to favour accounting or work&organisational subjects.

3. Agree that the Finance major doesn't really give you a foot in the door for an IB job unless you have HD averages or a seriously impressive resume to go with it. I think most of the IB hectic earners did degrees in stats or math, or sometimes just honours in commerce. However, if you're like me and haven't had any background in finance (i.e. i did 2u math, didnt do business studies, economics or commerce in high school) I think it's beneficial if a little bit full on in the first few subjects.
I only know 1 person who works in stockbroking, she has a tafe degree, lots of balls and worked her way up from receptionist. Funds management is a very broad term - you could be talking client managers, derivative sales, general management, IT, operations...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)