Masters of Forensic science/forensic science in general (1 Viewer)

whitewriter

HSC
So - just about to come out of your lovely basic science degree (B.medical science UNSW:mid final semester) and I'm looking into the bazillion things I can go onto next - one thing thats interested me is forensic science: of course the pain of another bachelor/undergad degree would just about kill me at present -- so I've found found a few places offering forensic science as a masters:

1. UWA : 2 years, full time, requires hons

2. Flinders : 2 yrs, part time, does not require hons

3. (and the wackiest of all) CIT : 1 yr, *online*? <-- of which I'm not even sure they're even offering anymore since I can't relocate their website.

Other than the widly varyiable means of which they are teaching this course (and no, a) police peeps are tighly sealed about any "prefered" courses, if there are indeed any and b) forensic sciences group NSW doesn't require a science degree with a "forensic" nature to work in their awesome labs [although it has its advantages]:

My main reason for looking into these, is that they seem to give a good background with regards to equipment and actual *handson* (except CIT) type lab work that you just don't get in 3 yrs of lectures (even if your taking BABS rather than SOMS course at UNSW, which I have to agree: is much more wet lab heavy)

My questions:

1. What has been splashed around the place re: "forensic science" (that it sounds sexy and there are very few actually 'forensic' jobs available comes to my mind)

2. Anyone take either of the above degrees? How did you find it?

3. Anyone taking forensic science anywhere else - (masters or undegrad) - where do you see your future at present?

4. Should I run screaming from the above courses:ninja:?

...apologies if this has been asked elswhere... if so, please redirect me.
~Ritaann

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I'm doing Forensics, well, a double in MedSc and Forensic Biotechnology.

Forensic jobs are fairly limited. You can do a masters in Forensics or something, but you're going to be fighting for the same jobs as people who only did a BAppliedSc in Forensics or something.

You can apply to the Police Force as a civilian to get into crime scene work, or you can apply to independent or government places to work in labs.
I don't quite know exactly what you're after though.

I don't actually see myself ending up in forensics any time soon, fairly limited where I can go and not many jobs/very competitive. But that said, I might apply as a civilian with the local FSG and see how I go.

Hoyin

HSC
N/A
Hey there whitewriter,

Ive sorta been in the same shoes as one after i finished my Bsci in medical micro and immuno with honours.

Ive been looking around for courses to study in forensic field to get into that field of work. Although there are some post grad courses outside sydney. There dont seem to be much postgrad courses in sydney..

Ive also read on the Usyd website, that having qualifications "specifically" in forensic field is not essential. The most essential factor is to have industry experience.. whether this is research laboratory or diagnostic laboratory.

But the forensic field itself is difficult to get into, mainly due to it being a govenment job.. many people hold on to the position till retirement and hence little openings are available.

xoa

HSC
Unfortunately, you'll have alot of competition, because thousands of people have rushed into forensic science thinking they'll get a CSI job with sexy costars and a bling hummer. Universities have only been too happy to cash in.

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
xoa said:
Unfortunately, you'll have alot of competition, because thousands of people have rushed into forensic science thinking they'll get a CSI job with sexy costars and a bling hummer. Universities have only been too happy to cash in.

what she said

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)