Match Point (1 Viewer)

icecreamdisco

HSC
i'm pretty pumped for it. a friend of my dad's was over at our house a few weeks ago and saw it @ cannes and said it was fantastic, and ebert called it one of woody's five best films in his recent crimes & misdemeanors review.

the trailer makes it seem like some anonymous fatal attraction ripoff, but i 'spose they're trying to rake in big audiences since woody's been basically bankrupting dreamworks recently, heh.

walrusbear

HSC
weird looking trailer for a woody allen movie

anyways
i hope it is good! hasn't had a good rap recently.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Anyone else surprised by how serious and.. unintentionally cheesy it looks? I guess I was just expecting another barrel of laughs. Nevermind, the critics are raving and Scarlett looks as good as I've ever seen her, so this, along with V for Vendetta, Broken Flowers, Capote, Good Night, and Good Luck, Jarhead, Elizabethtown, Memoirs of a Geisha (always happy to Chinese actors get some Hollywood recognition), Casanova, Lord of War, You, Me and Everyone We Know and Wolf's Creek will be the new movies I look forward to the most this year.

Last edited:

icecreamdisco

HSC
to my eyes the film doesn't seem like too much of a departure; every critic has already compared it to crimes and misdemeanours, which intertwined two stories, including one about a man who plots murder when his perfect life is threatened by a secret affair. though that film focused on guilt, while this one seems to be about luck (hence the tennis metaphor).

Benny_ said:
along with V for Vendetta, Broken Flowers, Capote, Good Night, and Good Luck, Jarhead, Elizabethtown, Memoirs of a Geisha (always happy to Chinese actors get some Hollywood recognition), Casanova, Lord of War, You, Me and Everyone We Know and Wolf's Creek will be the new movies I look forward to the most this year.
me and you and everyone we know is very good. pushes it's quirkiness too far and doesn't completely hang together as a film, but has some of the best individual scenes i've seen in a while.

replace elizabethtown with a history of violence and that'd be my list.

walrusbear

HSC
Benny_ said:
Anyone else surprised by how serious and.. unintentionally cheesy it looks? I guess I was just expecting another barrel of laughs. Nevermind, the critics are raving and Scarlett looks as good as I've ever seen her, so this, along with V for Vendetta, Broken Flowers, Capote, Good Night, and Good Luck, Jarhead, Elizabethtown, Memoirs of a Geisha (always happy to Chinese actors get some Hollywood recognition), Casanova, Lord of War, You, Me and Everyone We Know and Wolf's Creek will be the new movies I look forward to the most this year.
how many of those are coming out in australia this year??

i'm thinking jarhead and end of violence are 2006 releases

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I'm fairly certain that V for Vendetta and Jarhead will be released in Australian cinemas in early 2006. On bittorrent on the other hand... ;)

Damn.. it seems V for Vendetta has been rescheduled for release in March next year because of the London bombings. Scratch that and add in James Ivory's The White Countess instead.

Last edited:
HSC
every alan moore adaptation theyve done has been really terrible, and this looks to be just as bad. its a shame though, because its one of my favourite comics. ill probably see it anyway

icecreamdisco

HSC
surprised there hasn't been a new thread for this yet. anyway, i really liked it. i can recognise a few of the flaws, but somehow they end up working to the advantage of the film in the end. for instance,
johansson's first line, "who's my next victim?" seems artificial at first, but it perfectly coincides with the reversals of fortune that the characters encounter towards the end - note that nola is a struggling actress who botches all her auditions, and after she gets killed by chris, he essentially becomes a struggling actor in his life, with his police interrogation being his own audition of sorts.
it's those little ironies and subtleties that elevate it from being just a return-to-form to being a really valuable entry in allen's filmography. i'd discuss further, but i'm tired.

i'm also glad to finally see a modestly scoped non-political film that's also provocative and entertaining in the midst of oscar season. it acts as a nice breather.

Last edited:

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
I loved it! :D

Jonathan meyers' character was such a dick though. How could yous cheat on a wife like his.. even for scarlett :p

icecreamdisco

HSC
_dhj_ said:
I loved it! :D

Jonathan meyers' character was such a dick though. How could yous cheat on a wife like his.. even for scarlett :p
i was suprised at how much i ended up sympathising with him, though; he was such an awful and ruthless opportunist, and yet i was nearly sweating at the prospect that he might get caught at the end.

also,
that shot of him staring out the window of his apartment, wrecked with guilt, as his dad says "let's just hope he's lucky" about their new child is such a perfect ending.

star*eyed

HSC
Anyone seen Match Point??

Has anyone seen match point??? Is it any good?? what did u think of it????

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Re: Anyone seen Match Point??

It's superb! :)

[thread=89838]There's already a thread about it[/thread]

*sparklez...

HSC

it sint that good...i thought it was gonna be like wimbledon but its a more serious movie...and i do like serious movies but not ones about affairs

icecreamdisco

HSC
EDIT: this post was a reply to Benny, which came directly after his post until a new thread on the film was merged into this one.

almost. there was so much good stuff released 2005, and ultimately my main beef with match point was that woody's done it before and better in crimes & misdemeanors, which meant that i found it a tad predictable toward the end, no matter how well-plotted it is, even though it is superior to it's counterpart in many aspects.

that said, the screenplay and scarlett for supporting actress made my personal ballot. i'm rooting for it to win screenplay, though it doesn't stand a chance against c(t)rash.

Last edited:

icecreamdisco

HSC

*sparklez... said:
it sint that good...i thought it was gonna be like wimbledon but its a more serious movie...and i do like serious movies but not ones about affairs
lol.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC

wow. it's been ages since i have left the cinema feeling this satisfied. everything about this film just fit together so perfectly. especially how it shifted from a hidden love affair, into a murder thriller so coherently. most films would have made this a jarring transistion, but it was seamless here

best film of the year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)