MATH 1131 / 1141 exam tips from veterans (1 Viewer)

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
hi, just curious as to veteran's tips on 1131/1141 exams.

Ive been hearing that the past papers are "surprisingly", very "similar" ahem* to the real papers. Is this true? A friend in 3rd year told me to make sure that I look at the past papers (hope I have time with all the cramming)

thanks in advance

TheKey

HSC
yeh, i wanna know this too.

it better not be a suprise like that stupid mid session phys1131 exam, it was basically all the questions from lectures and since i study from the book/internet i got screwed.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Yes. The past papers are very similar to the real thing in MATH1131/1141, after all they were the real thing.

DO THE PAST PAPERS

Even the type of questions on them get repeated once every so often.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
My possiblity of passing math 1131 is solely rested upon the similarity in past papers. Because right now, I am officially 11 weeks behind in Algebra and 8 weeks behind in calculus :(

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner
My possiblity of passing math 1131 is solely rested upon the similarity in past papers. Because right now, I am officially 11 weeks behind in Algebra and 8 weeks behind in calculus :(
Do as many past papers as you can - everytime you come across a question you have no idea how to do, read up on the theory and examples then try to do the question. This should give you as much coverage as possible.

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
I don't think anyone on this board is a 2nd year doing actl :p

kaseita

Originally posted by redslert
hmmmm good point there

is there anyone??
me?
also aspect and mill

there's not really much to say in terms of advice lol. just do all the past papers, and make sure u know everything in your lecture notes?

they have a habit of being nasty

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
okay, few more questions :

1) expected % ? whats the average result / performance in 1131 && 1141 exams (raw)?

2) Some question 6 from 1141 is dang hard.. reminds me of 4unit question 7 and 8s. Is this so? Or are all the questions supposed to be of equal difficulty, and everybody is expected to be able to do all easily (danger for me)?

3) For veterans out there.. how did you all go? Did you do all questions? How much mark do you think yous got?

cheers <-- in heavy duty cramming mode

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I sure hope the a raw 50% doesn't equal to scaled 50% :(

I need to get 45/100 in order to pass the course. Sounds easy, but I can't do many questions...

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by underthesun
okay, few more questions :

1) expected % ? whats the average result / performance in 1131 && 1141 exams (raw)?

2) Some question 6 from 1141 is dang hard.. reminds me of 4unit question 7 and 8s. Is this so? Or are all the questions supposed to be of equal difficulty, and everybody is expected to be able to do all easily (danger for me)?

3) For veterans out there.. how did you all go? Did you do all questions? How much mark do you think yous got?

cheers <-- in heavy duty cramming mode
1) I have no idea. I would guess 60-80%.

2) Question 5 and 6 are the specfic 1411 HARD questions, which are similar to 4U Q 8s. Don't feel too bad if you can't answer all of them.

3) I can't really remember what I answered, I know I din't fully anser the test. No idea what my raw mark would have been. My actual mark was low to mid 80's I think (I would check on it, but myUNSW is down), but it was definately a DN.

Originally posted by Ragerunner
I sure hope the a raw 50% doesn't equal to scaled 50% :(

I need to get 45/100 in order to pass the course. Sounds easy, but I can't do many questions...
I think you will find you need at least 50/100 (ie: you must pass the final to pass the course) ...

gman03

HSC
the 1141 past paper questions require about the entire exam period in order for me to figure out question 5 part a, for example....

Either I should study harder or not attempt them...
I'm Not going to study harder,
Therefore I'll not attempt them (disjunctive syllogism)

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
i am soooooo going to fail

hmmm might as well make contingency plans instead of studying

lungke

HSC
Ah well im goonnnnnnne for the math exam.

*flicks out a crayon and starts scribbling on past paper*

sunny

meh.
HSC
Damage control people!!

Have a go at as many past papers as you can, and cover any theory you come across in the questions that you can't do. Don't dwell on questions you can't do for too long, use the solutions.

When you're in the exam, you might be suprised how similar in style the questions are to the past papers.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
It's fustrating.

I try one question. Can't do it. Refer to answers. Still don't understand. After 20 minutes I understand. Try next question. Can't do it :(

nifty03

HSC
I must be the most desperate guy here. I am learning (not studying or revising) algebra and calculus right from the beginning, taking notes. I've been doing that for a week, and oh man.. i've learnt more maths in this week of stuvac than the whole session. (btw i didn't go to any maths lectures) :p
if i fail i'll be really really pissed..
Then again, i am still very likely to fail since i am not so smart and i don't think i can sudden know how to do everything after 1 week of cramming. :-\ ahh i am so stressed. >.<

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)