Math 1A (1 Viewer)

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
1. Hirschorn is a crap lecturer :p One time last year in semester 1 some people arrived 40 mins in and he shouted at them to get out. And then another time he was 40 mins late himself :D Although that doesn't mean he's bad I thought it'd be ironic to mention it.
But he was pretty bad at teaching algebra. It's not very clearly set out sometimes.

2. Peter Brown is the bomb lol. Every session he tells the same jokes. Like I sat in on MATH1131 last week and he told the same history lesson of how the Greeks found sqrt 2. I'm sure he'll mention monster functions and cook books and pulling tricks out of a bag/hat very soon :) Another funny story with Brown. One time we were sitting in our tute room waiting for our maths tutor and Brown suddenly comes in, turns on the projector and puts a map of Ancient Assyria on it. We're all looking confused cause although he's our lecturer he wasn't our tutor. And then someone mentions that this is MATH1131 and he's like, 'this isn't history of maths?' Haha what a cool guy.

3) Is Noussair the kind of middle eastern guy? Always wears sandals and has glasses?

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
lol yea, hes middle eastern, but he doesnt wear sandles lol, and he doesnt have glasses.....

sunny

meh.
HSC
I think I've mentioned this one before. One time during Hirschhorn's lecture several people kept talking and it really got on his nerves. Eventually he went "that Asian fellow with the black hair get out!"

I think 90%+ of the lecture could have walked out.

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
i have peter brown.....he is absolutely awesome...and i have theresa for the other half and she is sick so her voice is annoying, thats said she is also pretty good.

for Calc tut i have trevor langlands and i really dont like him.
at all.

for algebra i have venta terauds, but my first one is only tomorrow...

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
Ive got astril (forgot her last name) for calc lectures and david hunt for algebra... hehe my friend had his phone on and it went off during his lecture :D got David Angell for calc tute and Hirschhorn for Algebra .His pretty imtimidating... but so far so good.

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
Ah I got Angell for my Engineering Maths tute. He's always nice and encouraging you to think about things which is obviously a good thing.

sunny

meh.
HSC
+GriM ReApeR+ said:
is it me or are the lectures hard to understand?
Lectures in general are hard to understand. It is why you have tutorials - it is the chance you are given to ask questions.

At uni, you are kind of expected to do some research work for yourself if there are things you don't understand.

fantasia

HSC
hah yeh i had hirshhorn for tutes today. he was pretty good, he really knew his stuff very well.

he can just be very intimidating coz he works pretty fast and expects u to keep up. And his tone kinda scares you... but as a tutor he's knowledgeable. We spent the last 20 mins just going through interesting maths with prime numbers and stuff which was pretty cool.

David Angell is pretty nice, he's more approachable compared to someone like Hirshhorn.

lol david hunt as a lecturer... he seems to be quite moody about things hahahah. even other lecturers/tutors mention it.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
marks hard on quizes. but does a good review and explanation of the key pts in lectures

grimreaper

HSC
Im just about to go into the tutorials for the people with high hsc math marks last year, so I dont know how my tutors are going to be

raigaa

HSC
physics1131 is bloody hard
and as wogboy said, i do think 3u helps me out in it much more than hsc phys does.
as a matter of fact hsc physics helps out 1% ...

i can't wait till i get out of physics1a and 1b, and move into second year baby.

sig

HSC
dafidav said:
i got tetyana smirnova as a calculus tut and i must say she is CRAP

she doesnt even know the difference between range and domain and didnt know how to sketch simple functions

when we had her on monday, the whole class was shaking their heads in dismay at her crapness

im definitely gonna change tuts now
What time on monday? 3-4?

My god she's fucken shit.

sunny

meh.
HSC
raigaa said:
physics1131 is bloody hard
Did I mention the year I did it so many people failed the mid session they had to change the requirements of the course so more people could pass?

shannonm

HSC
N/A
sunny said:
Did I mention the year I did it so many people failed the mid session they had to change the requirements of the course so more people could pass?
yes, page 1.

if you find first 2 weeks of h.phys 1a bloody hard, its gonna suck for the rest of the year (1st year electromag, etc). kinematics q1 in exam is nearly gift marks wrt the rest of the paper

sunny

meh.
HSC
ie, drop to 1121 if you're finding it hard! :p

raigaa

HSC
*gulp*

i have to do 1131
its elec/phtn/tele requirement

note that i have no troubles with the tutorial questions, they are practically the physical applications to calcalus topic in 3unit except alittle harder
its the lecture questions which are bloody hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)