Math Advanced Prediction/Thoughts (3 Viewers)

icycledough

HSC
I'm not sure if people will agree with me here or not, but I'd say probability is probably the hardest topic in 2U; not because of the content or difficulty, but just because of how obscure and technical it can get.

hiiitsme

HSC
I'm not sure if people will agree with me here or not, but I'd say probability is probably the hardest topic in 2U; not because of the content or difficulty, but just because of how obscure and technical it can get.
its just logic tho...

icycledough

HSC
not sure what u mean by 'obscure' and 'technical'
I think I didn't phrase it the right way, but what I should have said is that with topics like differentiation and integration, at a 2U level, there is a set way (using the rules of course) to go about any given problem. With probability, I just found it quite difficult to grasp all the concepts and formulas which will be needed. I guess some people will love statistics, but that was just my 2 cents on it.

5uckerberg

HSC
What is meant is the amount of detail involved such as cumulative distribution function and the fact that one has to pay so much attention to detail in the question to not even get a step wrong. Obsecure is because one might think they have an answer and go what I am going nowhere and as such must readjust which can be difficult for those of us who went very deep into one way of working.

icycledough

HSC
What is meant is the amount of detail involved such as cumulative distribution function and the fact that one has to pay so much attention to detail in the question to not even get a step wrong. Obsecure is because one might think they have an answer and go what I am going nowhere and as such must readjust which can be difficult for those of us who went very deep into one way of working.
I think that's exactly the way I was trying to word my response but I just couldn't put the words together like that.

notme123

HSC
have they ever asked a question about a cdf using the fact its always monotonically increasing (i think)

DarkOperator618

HSC
we r gonna have to live with shitty headlines like this for the next week or so lmaooo

the media have taken it out of our hands
i really don't like this aladeen portrayal of hsc exams by the media tbh

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
have they ever asked a question about a cdf using the fact its always monotonically increasing (i think)
It’s still early days of the new syllabus but here is a nice question (technically Ext1 level though) which uses that property of a cdf

Let X be any continuous random variable with a cdf of F(x). Let Y = F(X). Show that the pdf of Y is that of a uniform distribution over [0,1].

notme123

HSC
It’s still early days of the new syllabus but here is a nice question (technically Ext1 level though) which uses that property of a cdf

Let X be any continuous random variable with a cdf of F(x). Let Y = F(X). Show that the pdf of Y is that of a uniform distribution over [0,1].
this is in the bos 2020 trial isnt it. i actually had no idea how to approach this but the answer made so much sense i really like it.

zbolland

HSC
what do u reckon a 90 raw mark would get this year in terms of aligned?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
this is in the bos 2020 trial isnt it. i actually had no idea how to approach this but the answer made so much sense i really like it.
Yeah. It’s a nice result.

icycledough

HSC
what do u reckon a 90 raw mark would get this year in terms of aligned?
HSC raw marks says about 95, but depending on the difficulty of the exam (which most of the BoS threads have agreed to it being difficult), it could be more.

5uckerberg

HSC
Have a look at this
So wordy, my thought really I think this is a good paper but yes there seems to be a heavy concentration of the last two chapters. Not surprised. My plan of thought is that Sydney Morning Herald really is a bunch of crazies complaining.

icycledough

HSC
Have a look at this
So wordy, my thought really I think this is a good paper but yes there seems to be a heavy concentration of the last two chapters. Not surprised. My plan of thought is that Sydney Morning Herald really is a bunch of crazies complaining.
I'm pretty sure that if the aggregate of raw marks are significantly lower this year than in previous years, then they will accommodate by potentially lowering benchmarks for different bands. I understand some people's frustration, but honestly, everyone seems to be on the same playing field. I think these type of articles are usually released every year if I'm not sure, where there's students or teachers complaining about the difficulty of the exam.

Leadmen4y

HSC
tbh idk why people r complaining, it was fairly reasonable imo I mean even if it was hard everyone's doing the same exam so it'd be compensated by scaling. the point of an exam is to differentiate students anyways

5uckerberg

HSC
tbh idk why people r complaining, it was fairly reasonable imo I mean even if it was hard everyone's doing the same exam so it'd be compensated by scaling. the point of an exam is to differentiate students anyways
The main reason I suspect is that teachers are complaining that it takes too long to decipher what the question is getting the students to do and as such, they are put under pressure as a result of taking so long to see what the Q is asking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)