Math content in econ1001/1002 (1 Viewer)

wbv77

HSC
Hello all,

Just wondering what type of math will be involved in these two subjects?

I can imagine that algebra and some form of calculus will be evident but I'm more so interested in the specific topics used within i.e equations, differentiation? etc.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated as I'm looking to get into the swings of things (brain working again lol) since the holiday break.

jenslekman

HSC
Basically knowing how to graph a straight line and differentiate say x^2 + 2x would be enough.

wbv77

HSC
Really? Why is it that I keep hearing that the "math was so hard" "the entire year was in the same boat" etc?

Also has anyone done econ1003, quantitative methods? Will that just be taking the stats component and applying it to real world scenario or moreso delving deeper into equations and calc?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Basically knowing how to graph a straight line and differentiate say x^2 + 2x would be enough.
This is pretty much on the money.

The challenge comes in when you're expected to look at a problem and then interpret it mathematically. The actual mathematics isn't challenging until you start higher units.

Hatake88

HSC
Really? Why is it that I keep hearing that the "math was so hard" "the entire year was in the same boat" etc?

Also has anyone done econ1003, quantitative methods? Will that just be taking the stats component and applying it to real world scenario or moreso delving deeper into equations and calc?
Like someone said, all you really need in terms of mathematical knowledge is how to find the interception point of various lines.

The hard part is figuring out which graph to use and what the actual demand/supply formulas are. Its all basic adding and subtracting but that doesn't mean its easy (just look at accounting).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)