Math help!!!! (1 Viewer)

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
Original Poster said:
2AA5185C-BCFB-4884-89D9-B7B8CF6C2570.png5841818E-A1EE-4FC3-8B3F-BD439486BB82.png
In the third section of the Solution sin(Pi-alpha) became sin(alpha) how??
sin(pi - alpha) = sin(pi)cos(alpha) - cos(pi)sin(alpha) by compound angle expansion
sin(pi)= 0 and -cos(pi)= 1 so you're left with sin(alpha)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Compound angle expansion is taught in year 11 Mathematics Extension 1 (or at least that's when I learned it before dropping) and as was mentioned isn't covered in Mathematics Advanced. It's these identities right?

1627474290308.png

Show me the way B1
B1andB2 band E4 in 4U incoming! 👏:D

On a side note, I found this document containing a question that is worded extremely similarly to this one (the only difference being numerical values) and I think you should probably have a look at what was done in the working out.

I hope this helps! :D

cossine

HSC
To add sin(pi-x) = sin(x) for all real numbers, x.

You can see this graphically:

sin(pi -x) = -sin(x-pi) since sin is odd.

So sin(pi-x) is shifted pi units and then flipped across the x-axis.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
It usually takes me thirty seconds to do a quick sketch of two cycles of the sine wave from -2π to 2π, then add the cosine wave which is π/2 (90 deg) out of phase, to visualise all the sine & cosine relationships listed in the different quadrants.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Another valid approach, which was posted but deleted earlier, is to use the rule that

the sine of any angle is the cosine of its complement and vice-versa
This is easy to prove... draw a right angled triangle, call the two non-right angles and . We know that the hypoteneuse (with length ) is opposite the right angle. Lets arbitrarily call the side opposite as having length , so that the third side (opposite and adjacent to ) has length . Now:

and

and, since

we can re-write these as

or, in radians

Now, I admit that this only establishes these results for acute angles, but with quadrants diagrams and angles of any magnitude, I assure you that they do generalise. And, unlike the double angle formulae / expansions above (which are true but only covered in MX1 and MX2), knowing this result is definitely within the Advanced Maths syllabus.

So, how does this help?

We want . This deals with the supplementary angle (angles adding to 180 degrees) but need a form with the complementary angle (angles adding to 90 degrees), so we rewrite:

Alternatively, we can start with the complementary form and rearrange to find , as in:

Either way, having found a form involving a complementary angle, we can use the above rule to conclude that:

And we know need only simplify by using the definition of :

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)