Math Text Books (1 Viewer)

oliver.lacey

HSC
Can anyone recommend me any math text books which cover the year 10 syllabus? I currently only have an old signpost mathamatics book. Although I love the format many of the questions are no longer included in the syllabus & many of the examples don't cover all the questions.

I'm particurly looking for one packed with practise questions & well written examples. Help much appreciated :D

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Understanding year 9 &10 math advanced

Very well explained examples, I learned alot of my skills from that set of book, forgot who wrote it :(

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
z600 said:
Understanding year 9 &10 math advanced

Very well explained examples, I learned alot of my skills from that set of book, forgot who wrote it :(
by Dr Max Shur.

Go to dymocks george st in sydney and check out all the yr 10 maths books and see which one best suits you.

oliver.lacey

HSC
Thanks for the tips lads, I don't live anywhere near Sydney, but I know a good book store which might have them,

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Deltan said:
I practically haves heaps of Maths Textbooks that cover yr9 & 10 syllabus. Firstly, what maths are you currently doing? (standard, Advance)

I'd recommend the following: (if your from an advance class)
Understanding Year 9 & 10 Advance Math
Spectrum Mathematics Year 10 Advance
Excel Advance Yr 9&10 Advance

Textbooks you might want to have a look to prepare for next year:
Cambridge 2 unit
Terry Lee books
Dont buy cambidge 2unit, buy the yr 11, 3unit one its roughly the same price and the 3u covers all of the hard yr 11 and 12 2u topics.

Last edited:

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
Its still good though because i bought it last year, money isn't really a concern for me but thanx for pointing that out since i think i'll go get it to prepare for the 3unit maths course for my yr11 studies. OMG i haven't learned anything new for maths extension. In fact i might get all the cambridge maths books (except general) of course

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Well the year 10's don't need to be worrying about 4 unit maths for a while... this is only undertaken in year 12 [unless you are acclererating].

I remember using the spectrum year 9/10 textbook [advanced] and it was overall quite good with alot of excercises.

oliver.lacey

HSC
Deltan said:
I practically haves heaps of Maths Textbooks that cover yr9 & 10 syllabus. Firstly, what maths are you currently doing? (standard, Advance)

I'd recommend the following: (if your from an advance class)
Understanding Year 9 & 10 Advance Math
Spectrum Mathematics Year 10 Advance
Excel Advance Yr 9&10 Advance

Textbooks you might want to have a look to prepare for next year:
Cambridge 2 unit
Terry Lee books
Are those books up to date? my librarian told me that the syllibus is no longer called advanced but 5.3

Also can anyone tell me what 3 unit is like from somebody whos not a reincarnated mathamatician? my cousin who is like this said unless your looking at being an engineer it's not worth doing.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
oliver.lacey said:
Are those books up to date? my librarian told me that the syllibus is no longer called advanced but 5.3

Also can anyone tell me what 3 unit is like from somebody whos not a reincarnated mathamatician? my cousin who is like this said unless your looking at being an engineer it's not worth doing.
Well same thing, doesn't prevent us from using an advance textbook...

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
oliver.lacey said:

If you're good at maths, and like maths, then you should definately consider doing extension 1 maths. It is basically an extension of the 2 unit course, with only a couple of entirely new ideas and conceptss to deal with and most of the other topics that you do in extension 1 maths you will also deal with in 2 unit, just with new topics that extend on the 2 unit topics.

mednerd

HSC
N/A
id ur doing well in 2u ...u shuld try 3u...as most of teh topics in 2 are part of 3u1

Neurox

HSC
Hey guys, does the 3u cambridge book explain the 2u course as well as the 3u course? Because im looking for a book which explains both thouroughly and also provides a challenge.. so can some1 recommend me a book? Should i get both the 2u and 3u textbooks?

Thanks in advance.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Neurox said:
Hey guys, does the 3u cambridge book explain the 2u course as well as the 3u course? Because im looking for a book which explains both thouroughly and also provides a challenge.. so can some1 recommend me a book? Should i get both the 2u and 3u textbooks?

Thanks in advance.
The Cambridge 3 unit books cover the 2 unit course as well, I'm pretty sure it does anyway.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
The Cambridge 3 unit books cover the 2 unit course as well, I'm pretty sure it does anyway.
It covers all the hard stuff of the 2unit course, stuff like prob, plane geomety etc has been left out of cambridge, most people at ruse use both cambridge 3u and 2U fitzpatrick (yellow book) and 3u fitzpatrick(green/aqua colour). The fitzpatrick books cover the entire course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)