• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

MATH1002/1902 Discussion 2005 (1 Viewer)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Steven12 said:
is it alway full house over there(carslaw)., i was like five minutes late and then the place is packed to the max, had sit on stairs like some hobo.....well,i look like hobo pretty much all the time but thats not the point.....

The MATH 1902 lecture usually has plenty of room left over.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
SpoRTsGaL said:
I have my first tutorial tomorrow and it is for this subject (math1002). How do I prepare for it? I don't have any books. I only have the handouts and the printout from the net.
Umm go into your WebCT and click on MATH 1002. Go to resources and download and print off the week 1 tutorial questions. Do the preparation questions at home and then do the rest during the tutorial

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
llamalope said:
I've never done vectors b4, but the lecturer explained them pretty well, so i actually understood what was going on

although when he was doing the notation(cause he uses running writing), I thought that |v| looked like |N| and so i got a bit confused until i looked at the guy's book next to me and realised my mistake!
You will find that even in those that don't use cursive letters v often looks like that to help distinguish it from u which often looks the same especially in a hurry.

I had the t from s and t as a k though until he spoke about it.

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
Xayma said:
I had the t from s and t as a k though until he spoke about it.

lol..same. man... dat dude had gone mad today. so fast. I'm kinda glad he said he'll write stuff during lecture not pre-written.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I also had it as a "k". How many tutorial streams are there for 1902, does anyone know?

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
I also had it as a "k". How many tutorial streams are there for 1902, does anyone know?

I think one. and that's the only time it's taught

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Exercise 1.6 Page 20.

Question 2:

Show graphically that:

(a) |a+b| ≤ a+b

How the fuck do you show it graphically for every case, I could prove it geometrically but how would you show it graphically for every case.

eventhorizon

can some1 post a link to the solutions here?
i cant get 8(f)

for that i guess you just draw 2 cases
1. a triangle, thus the sum of both sides is always larger or equal to than the third
2. a straight line, thus |a+b| = a+b

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Xayma said:
Exercise 1.6 Page 20.

Question 2:

Show graphically that:

(a) |a+b| ≤ a+b

How the fuck do you show it graphically for every case, I could prove it geometrically but how would you show it graphically for every case.
*diagram*

Clearly...

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Are there any worked out answers for the exercises?

Has anyone done the last 3 in exercise 1.6, ive got no idea?

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
Xayma said:
Exercise 1.6 Page 20.

Question 2:

Show graphically that:

(a) |a+b| ≤ a+b

|a + b| = a + b only iff both vectors a and b are parallel and have same direction. i.e. forms a straight line.

For any other cases |a + b| < a + b

[dat's my thought on it. correct me if i'm wrong]

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Yes, but how could you show that is true graphically for all cases, I know that is the case and could prove it, but to do so for all cases.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Xayma said:
Yes, but how could you show that is true graphically for all cases, I know that is the case and could prove it, but to do so for all cases.
Xayma, do what I said, it's applied mathematics, it doesn't have to make sense:)

Z

Zeppelin

SpoRTsGaL said:
So, was anyone in the 11.00 lecture today? Did anyone hear that person's phone ringing about ten minutes before the end of the lecture? The hatdance ringtone?
Yes! It took so long for the guy to answer. It happened yesterday too, and I know the guy that owned the phone. I used to go to school with him in 7-10.

But yeah, I have no idea what the hell he was talking about. I couldn't see jack from the right side of the lecture theatre, and his writing and unbearably hard to read. I've gotten all stressed out and stuff already...

Z

Zeppelin

Awesome. I have some free time then, and I'm meeting up witha friend (my only one so far at this uni). I'd like to meet you to, withoutaface. The more people I know, the better. I am such a loner. >_>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)