MATH1011 and MATH1131... which one should i choose ? (1 Viewer)

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
In that case, go ahead and do what you can to maximize your marks. You should really post more information in your topic so we can give better advise instead of wasting 2 pages of irrelevant advise. :p

Math1011 will be pretty much a repeat of 3u math with a brief touch on linear algebra, try not to loose focus because you'll find it extremely easy and spend little to no time doing the course material, hence, missing out on important topics. I find that I do worse in easy subjects because I end up spending all my time on the harder(usually more interesting) ones, but that's a personal trait.

tasmina

HSC
Hi, I'm going to be studying comm/law this year and plan to take on actuarial studies as my major
but I haven't done 4 unit maths (ext 1 mark : 49/50. mathematics: 99) so would i be able to cope with it?
and i need a WAM of 80 to keep up my scholarship..
everyone else is telling me to do finance..so instead of math1151, i do quantitave A but now im srsly confused !!! :(
any advice would be great
thanks

Iruka

HSC
N/A
I think that you have to do 1151 if your want to major in actuarial studies.

cyl123

HSC
@tasmina:
With your maths marks, you should easily be able to handle MATH1151 even if you havent done 4u. The only thing you miss out on not doing 4u is integration techniques and complex numbers, 2 of the easier topics in 4u so you would be able to pick that up easily thru self study. So you should be able to cope with actuarial studies IF you are willing to put in the effort. Keeping a 80+ WAM in first year isnt too hard (in commerce at least, law is a different matter), but future years gets harder to cope with particularly for actuarial studies. So main question is whether you really want to do actuarial studies. If so, stick to it cos although you may lose the scholarship (prob not likely), the future rewards from an actuarial career outweighs the current benefits of the scholarship.

Btw, math1151 exempts quant A, so if you decide to drop actuarial studies to do finance, you dont have to do quant A.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)