• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

MATH1011 and MATH1131 (1 Viewer)

shift_44

HSC
Hi Guys

I did 2 unit math in 2006 but don't really remember much and was an average student (81/100)

Would you suggest I take the easier MATH1011 in S1 then take MATH1131 in S2... or take the longer but safer option of taking MATH1011 in semester 2 then the summer bridging course where I would get filled in on the 3 Unit maths criteria and take MATH1131 in semester 1 2011?

I've heard that there is a HUGE difference in difficulty between MATH1011 and MATH1131 so I'm kind of inclined to take the longer option with the ($expensive) bridging course..

Do people who do the bridging course do much better than those who don't?

Thanks!

mahdi

HSC
or take the longer but safer option of taking MATH1011 in semester 2 then the summer bridging course where I would get filled in on the 3 Unit maths criteria and take MATH1131 in semester 1 2011?
quote]

Whow thats a long sentence!

Im in the same position as you. I only did 2unit.

I dont fully understand what you are saying? You still need to do one of those maths in semester one, you cant just bludge for the first half of the year. The bridging is course is during feburary (before uni starts).

I think im going to do the (very expensive) bridging course and then go into MATH1011 (easy one). Because MATH1131 is designed for people who did decent in 4unit or aced 3 unit (not people who caught up in 3unit in a bridging course).

Anyways i think you could do the harded maths but you would have to study like a freak. Btw, 2006? why did you wait 3 years to go to uni?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/2010/MATH1011.html

Assumed knowledge: A level of knowledge equivalent to achieving a mark of at least 60 in HSC Mathematics. Students who have taken General Mathematics will not have achieved the level of knowledge which is assumed in this course.

so basically this is really easy and for ppl who didnt do too well (or dont remember much) of 2U maths.

Yes the safe option will be to do MATH1011, then math bridging course, then MATH1131.

OR you can do MATH1011, then go straight to MATH1131 but make sure you pay 500% attention during classes from day 1.

I dont really know what the content is for MATH1011 (apart from what's given in the description), and i did MATH1131 two years ago, i dont think u do imaginary numbers in 1011.. BUT i'd email the maths department and get their opinions too, since they know more about the course contents etc.

shift_44

HSC
quote madhi
"Im in the same position as you. I only did 2unit.

I dont fully understand what you are saying? You still need to do one of those maths in semester one, you cant just bludge for the first half of the year. The bridging is course is during feburary (before uni starts).

I think im going to do the (very expensive) bridging course and then go into MATH1011 (easy one). Because MATH1131 is designed for people who did decent in 4unit or aced 3 unit (not people who caught up in 3unit in a bridging course).

[/quote]

mahidi,

I wouldn't be bludging the first half of the year as I would be taking other courses besides maths. I can take MATH1011 in semester two (2010) as a refresher course then take the bridging course in Feb (summer) then in 2011 take MATH1131 and would have fulfulled the assumed knowledge...i'm not sure what you don't understand...

Actually, the bridging course IS designed for people who have only done 2Unit math and want to enter MATH1131...
UNSW: The University of New South Wales - Sydney Australia - FUTURE STUDENTS
Taking the bridging course to prepare for MATH1011 would be a waste as the bridging course itself has assumed knowledge of 2U maths.

Thanks Omie Jay...will probably go with the safer option

Last edited:

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
and fyi i did 2u maths during hsc and my final hsc mark was 84.

then i did the maths ext1 bridging course at the start of 08 (i think $400 upfront, cant defer it to hecs, and i think i got 85 for that), which was really helpful for math1131.

shift_44 said:
Actually, the bridging course IS designed for people who have only done 2Unit math and want to enter MATH1131...
Taking the bridging course to prepare for MATH1011 would be a waste as the bridging course itself has assumed knowledge of 2U maths.
this is correct.

It kinda sux that u gotta do 1011, then pay $400 or so for bridging course, THEN go onto 1131, but looks like it's what u gotta do.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
u can s till do 1131 without the bridging course.

just work ur ass off

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
yeah true, which is why i said

me said:
OR you can do MATH1011, then go straight to MATH1131 but make sure you pay 500% attention during classes from day 1.
I dont want you to think you're being forced into doing the bridging course, just talk to the maths department about the content of 1011 and how much of 1131 builds on that stuff.

shift_44

HSC
85 in MATH1131 Omie Jay! I'm sold!!
I'm definitley going to take both MATH1011 AND the bridging course.. I think it would make doing the course far less stressful. although i will still probably have to work my ass off

this thread reminds me of other blogs i've read where people feel that doing the chemistry bridging course, for example, really set them up for success in CHEM1011, and did even better than students who did chem in high school.

i think this is because these bridging courses are designed specifically for the topics that are taught in the first year university physics, math and chem... identical in format and difficulty I am told.

shift_44

HSC
lol oh yer should read more carefully.... still doing it long way

Iruka

HSC
N/A
I think the idea is that if you have done MATH1011, you won't need the summer bridging course.

If you still want to do this the long way, why don't you consider doing:

(1) Mathematical Skills Program (MSP) in S1 2010;
(2) MATH1011 in S2 2010; and then
(3) MATH1311 in S1 2010.

That way you get more content hours distributed over a longer time period, which should be conducive to better learning.

Link for MSP:

shift_44

HSC
(3) MATH1131 in 2011...

That looks really good i will look into it thanks

duy92

HSC
N/A
hey guys if i do MATH1011 i cant do phys in sem 1 would it be safer to do the bridging course then do MATH1131 or just do the bridging course + MATH1011 and delay phys for one sem

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
probably better doing the bridging course in summer, then math1131 in S1, but depends on what maths u did for your hsc.

what level of maths did you do in ur hsc, and how did u go?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
lol, no need for math1011, i also got a band 5 for 2u maths, i did bridging course, then math1131 in S1.

you should do that too.

Math1011 would only be for ppl who did general maths, i think.

duy92

HSC
N/A
thats sounds alright then guess ill be working my arse off during the bridging course and the semester

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
bridging course is heaps easy.

just make sure you pay attention during semester and regularly study/revise, and you'll be fine.

emosadcase

HSC
heya

im in sorta the same position
i did 2unit at school and was average so i thought i would do the bridging course so that i can go straight to math1131
i need 1131 as im doing phys1121 and for me to finish my course in 4 yrs this is the only way

anyways see ya at the bridging course starting on wednesday!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)