• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

MATH1015 and MATH1111 for first year B science (1 Viewer)

annie_m

HSC
Has anyone taken MATH1015 and/or MATH1111 before?
I only did general math for the HSC. This isn't my first year of uni however, I transferred from B health science into B sci/ m nutrition and dietetics. So I’m receiving credit from human bio and psyc which I completed last year. Thereby, this sem I’ll only be doing MATH1015&1111 as well as one unit of intro chem. In regards to 1015 (biostats), during health sci. I did a unit called HSBH1007 (research methods) and it focused a lot on t-tests, chi squares, ways of plotting data and P-values, etc. I received a D in this unit of study, and full marks in the stats component of psyc1001.
Regardless I’m worried about 1015 (not having done HSC 2 unit maths as recommended in the outline). Do you think I’ll get by okay without? :uhoh:

R

RishadM

I checked around the Usyd website and found a link of quizzes for math1015: http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/u/UG/JM/MATH1015/Quizzes/
From the quizzes it looks like MATH1015 is about t-tests, chi-squares... and z tests, paired/two sample tests.
So you should have already covered like 90% of whats in MATH1015 from your other unit (HSBH1007). So I'm actually surprised they don't let you transfer your credit over seeing how similar they seem to be.

Also I did mathex1 in the HSC, and these probability, statistic courses don't really have toooo much in common with the 2unit maths course in the HSC, apart from easy probability. So you should definitely be more than fine. Should be easy for you

annie_m

HSC
I had no idea that the quizes would be that simple, looks a lot like what they teach in HSC general math :/ and it appears to overlap with HSBH1007 too. To be honest I actually didn't think of applying for credit for it, largely because it says that 3 points of stats is required from either math1005/1015. I might drop them an email later and see what they have to say about it. Thanks so much :)

Psychoanalytic

HSC
I did general maths in high school and did MATH1015 (as well as MATH1011, MATH1013 and MATH1014) in my first year of uni. I got a distinction for it. There is no 2U assumed knowledge in MATH1015, so you should have no problem understanding everything. The first 6 or so weeks are really easy, like REALLY easy. Reading stem and leaf plots, probability, finding averages, means, ranges and so on. It's only after that the course gets harder.

TIP: really study for the quizzes and try to gain full marks in the assignment. They are very easy compared to the final exam. The final exam is actually quite hard and most people run out of time (including myself). But because I went into the final exam with 33/35, it didn't matter that I didn't finish the final exam. Still got a distinction. So yeah, basically, the quizzes and assignment are easy marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)