Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Discrete Maths Sem 2 2016

did u check for when n=1? first of all

Drsoccerball

HSC

Do cases and with the odd part do another induction to prove it.

Edit: That is write the statement first assuming k is even and solve, and then another case where k is odd and solve.

leehuan

HSC

did u check for when n=1? first of all
Obviously lol

Do cases and with the odd part do another induction to prove it.

Edit: That is write the statement first assuming k is even and solve, and then another case where k is odd and solve.
Yeah I realised that the sign on the last term could've been clearly stated after I read the textbook. But I managed to get it out using strong induction anyway so I'll leave it. (That being said, for strong induction I also separated odd and even :/ )

leehuan

HSC

Translate the following compound statement into symbolic notation:

Either going to bed or going swimming is a sufficient condition for changing clothes; however, changing clothes does not mean going swimming.

So I let b = going to bed
s = going swimming
l = changing clothes

And then I got stuck. I have no idea how to translate the second statement.

Last edited:

Orthos

HSC

"Changing clothes does not mean going swimming" ≡ "changing clothes means not going swimming"

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

"Changing clothes does not mean going swimming" ≡ "changing clothes means not going swimming"
Those would mean two different things.

One of those (the first one you wrote) is "A does not imply B", the other is "A implies not B" (assuming 'means' refers to 'implies'. It may have instead referred to something like 'is equivalent to'.) .These are different.

Last edited:

Drsoccerball

HSC

Would the second statement be: l -> (b V s) ?

leehuan

HSC

Translate the following compound statement into symbolic notation:

Either going to bed or going swimming is a sufficient condition for changing clothes; however, changing clothes does not mean going swimming.

So I let b = going to bed
s = going swimming
l = changing clothes

And then I got stuck. I have no idea how to translate the second statement.

Not bothered right now to continue because the brackets are messy. A bit too much commutative and associative required.

leehuan

HSC

Three letters are chosen out of SATURDAY to make words. How many possible words?

leehuan

HSC

Ah I get it :) for some reason I tried to pick instead of choose 2 out of 6 I think...

Consider the following.
“Problem: How many eight-card hands chosen from a standard pack have at least one suit missing?

Solution: Throw out one entire suit (4 possibilities), then select 8 of the remaining 39 cards.

The number of hands is 439C8.”

a) What is wrong with the given solution?

So I know that there's been double counting and one way of approaching it is through inclusion-exclusion (which is part b) - do it correctly). But I'm not sure how to properly explain the double counting as I can't quite tell what's been double counted

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Ah I get it :) for some reason I tried to pick instead of choose 2 out of 6 I think...

Consider the following.
“Problem: How many eight-card hands chosen from a standard pack have at least one suit missing?

Solution: Throw out one entire suit (4 possibilities), then select 8 of the remaining 39 cards.

The number of hands is 439C8.”

a) What is wrong with the given solution?

So I know that there's been double counting and one way of approaching it is through inclusion-exclusion (which is part b) - do it correctly). But I'm not sure how to properly explain the double counting as I can't quite tell what's been double counted
The given solution counts |S1| + |S2| + |S3| + |S4|, where Sj is the set of eight-card hands so that there is no card from suit j in the hand (j = 1,2,3,4).

But what we want is: |S1 U S2 U S3 U S4| (which is the no. of eight-card hands with suit 1 missing or suit 2 missing or ... or suit 4 missing (as usual 'or' meaning inclusive or).

The given answer would only generally equal the size of this union if the sets Sj were disjoint sets, but they are clearly not disjoint here, hence the answer given is incorrect.

(To see they aren't disjoint, note S1 and S2 both include a hand where all eight cards are from suit 3 for example. This corresponds to the given answer counting more than once things like the eight cards being cards #1,2,...,8 from suit 3. So it's double counting a lot of things.)

leehuan

HSC

Not sure if this is just a really tediously long question that I should give to my tutor, or if there's shortcuts.

Q: How many eight letter words can be formed from the letters of PARRAMATTA? (10 letters)

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad

Not sure if this is just a really tediously long question that I should give to my tutor, or if there's shortcuts.

Q: How many eight letter words can be formed from the letters of PARRAMATTA? (10 letters)
lol i remember that q, its surprisingly hard just give to tutor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)