• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Math1131 (assumed knowledge) Preparation (1 Viewer)

twansadrown

HSC
N/A
Hi guys, if any of you guys who have done math1131 can help that would be great. Long story short i finished hsc 7 years ago with top marks for 2u and 3u maths. finished a 6 year degree and realised wasn't for me.
Thus it comes to me enrolling at unsw for engineering and one of my subs is math1131. I havnt touched maths in 7 years and was wondering what subjects in 3u and 4u i should revise and learn in the next 2 weeks before the semester starts.

I am going to list the topics via the hsc syllabus. I would be a great help if you could copy and past which ones i should or should not revise/learn to prepare myself for maths1131.

I got these topics from excel books. If any of you guys think i shouldnt revise and just wait for uni also let me know. i had my fair share of past university work so i know how much work is expected to be put in for a pass upto a HD. my aim is to hit the distinctions with my subjects so i will be putting alot of work into studying this subject aswell as my others. Thanks for the help again if you can

3unit

1. Real number system
1.1. SURDS
1.2. Absolute Values and Inequalities

2. Plane Geometry: Circles
3.Trigonometry
4.Trigonometric equations
5.Mathematical induction
6.Differentiation and integration
7.Integration- substitution method
8.Coordinate Geometry
9.Polynomials
10.Inverse Functions
11. Applications of calculus to the physical world
12. The binomial theorem
13. Permutations, combinations and binomials probabilities

4Unit

1. Curve sketching

2. Integration
2.1.Integration by substitution
2.2 .Integration by Parts
2.3 Trigonometric Integral
2.4 using t=tan(x/2)
2.5 Reduction formulas
2.6 Trigonometric Substitution
2.7 Rational Functions
2.8 Partial fractions
2.9 completing the square
2.10. Integration by special properties

3. Volumes
3.1 Volumes of revolution
3.2 Method of slicing
3.3 Shell Method

4. Complex numbers
4.1 Algebra of complex numbers
4.2 argand diagram
4.3 Powers of complex numbers: De Moivre's Theorem
4.4 Roots of complex numbers: square roots
4.5 Properties of complex numbers
4.6 The complex roots of unity
4.7 Factorisation of complex numbers
4.8 Geometric Representation of complex numbers
4.9. Locus problems

5. Polynomials
5.1 Factor theorem
5.2 Theory of equation

6. Conic sections
6.1 parabola
6.2 circles
6.3 the ellipse
6.4 the hyperbola
6.5 rectangular hyperbola

7. Resisted motion

8. Circular motion

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
from the top of my head,

3U : differentiation/integration (6 and 7), 10? and 1,2 i guess.

4U: complex numbers (imo 4U complex numbers is harder, but u learn some new things in 1131), i don't think you'd need to revise too much for this, just familiarise yourself with complex numbers.

but to be honest, you don't need to do too much. they'll teach everything, just keep up with the tutorials.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
from the top of my head,

3U : differentiation/integration (6 and 7), 10? and 1,2 i guess.

4U: complex numbers (imo 4U complex numbers is harder, but u learn some new things in 1131), i don't think you'd need to revise too much for this, just familiarise yourself with complex numbers.

but to be honest, you don't need to do too much. they'll teach everything, just keep up with the tutorials.
^ Pretty much.

The topics they cover in MATH1131 are:

Algebra: Complex Numbers, Vectors, Linear Equations and Matrices, Vector Geometry.

In Calculus, they teach: Sets, Inequalities and Functions; Limits; Properties of Continuous Functions; Differentiable Functions; Mean Value Theorem and its Applications; Inverse Functions; Curve Sketching; Integration; Logarithms and Exponentials; Hyperbolic Functions.

So there... I mean, it's MATH1131 - it's the lower course - so... I think since you've encountered them in the past, you should be fine. But if you really want to revise, maybe a bit of complex numbers, some of your algebra, integration, curve sketching...

twansadrown

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, thanks alot for the info. judging from the responses ill just have a quick read through on the topics listed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)