MATH1131 Lectures - can't decide between lecturers (1 Viewer)

lance687876

HSC
Uni Grad
no in 1st year maths the first hour for instance is calculus taught by one lecturer then the next hour is algebra taught by another lecturer

or it could be the other way round

and Tisdell teaches calculus and Pahor teaches algebra
yeah but half the time one lecturer runs late and the other is forced to take his our. sometimes the other lecturer doesn't come at all and we have 2 hours of the other lecturer.
so it is pretty risky and l recommend that you just go to britz and pahor's lectures. to me britz is better than pahor, he gives this one huge pdf containing material that covers the whole course in your first week, which is extremely helpful, and it is full of worked examples. you can pass by simply reading that pdf instead of the 300 pages of algebra notes and not doing your homework (true story)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
WK Schief, he's good.

One of the things I remember from him is that he'll always say "Good morning" or "Good afternoon" when he walks in. Very polite.

Reactions: D94

Thief

!!
HSC
yeah but half the time one lecturer runs late and the other is forced to take his our. sometimes the other lecturer doesn't come at all and we have 2 hours of the other lecturer.
so it is pretty risky and l recommend that you just go to britz and pahor's lectures. to me britz is better than pahor, he gives this one huge pdf containing material that covers the whole course in your first week, which is extremely helpful, and it is full of worked examples. you can pass by simply reading that pdf instead of the 300 pages of algebra notes and not doing your homework (true story)
is this available online somewhere for people who get the other lecturers?

D94

HSC
N/A
I'm doing MATH1141. How are Dr D Potapov and Prof WK Schief?
I had them, and they were good...so long as you could understand Potapov through his thick accent. Wolfgang Schief is already a boss name, so you know he should be good, and he is. But since it's MATH1141, and since MX1 is assumed (and MX2 is generally assumed as well), he goes through some of the calculus topics pretty quickly. You should read before hand since he puts up the lecture notes.

D94

HSC
N/A
is this available online somewhere for people who get the other lecturers?
Yes, everyone has access to the notes of the other lectures. The lecturers also know that students may attend one half of a lecture, then go to the other at another time, so there's no issues there.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
fuck never happened to me but I did it a while back in 2010

NoIdea77

HSC
How are Dr DD Angell and Dr CK Mak?

I only picked based on times to fit as much availability for work as possible and didn't even look at who was going to be teaching what..
Hopefully they're not too bad or else I'll regret this.

wkh

HSC
Does anyone know which lecturers takes algebra and which take calculus? I'm enrolled in Tisdell & Coster (class 3446), but from the sounds of it I would want to turn up to Pahor's lecture for whichever component he's taking. On that note, how would you rate Tisdell & Coster?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
How are Dr DD Angell and Dr CK Mak?

I only picked based on times to fit as much availability for work as possible and didn't even look at who was going to be teaching what..
Hopefully they're not too bad or else I'll regret this.
Angell is good, Mak is god awful terrible. shit chinese accent and he mumbles as well, worst possible combination

Does anyone know which lecturers takes algebra and which take calculus? I'm enrolled in Tisdell & Coster (class 3446), but from the sounds of it I would want to turn up to Pahor's lecture for whichever component he's taking. On that note, how would you rate Tisdell & Coster?
Tisdell does calculus and he is as good as Pahor, no idea who Coster is

D94

HSC
N/A
I had David Angell as my MATH1241 tutor; he was very helpful and explained things well. Should be similar as a lecturer.

Alkanes

HSC
If Pahor is teaching, hands down. He's your man. You probably won't get a guy like him anymore after first year. Very interesting lecturer and he was like the only reason I went to my 9am lectures and i was the most laziest dude out. Yes he's that good!

melissa92

HSC
Uni Grad
If Pahor is teaching, hands down. He's your man. You probably won't get a guy like him anymore after first year. Very interesting lecturer and he was like the only reason I went to my 9am lectures and i was the most laziest dude out. Yes he's that good!
Okay.. =D Hope I survive the 4-6pm lectures on both tuesday and wednesday =D

Alkanes

HSC
Yep goodluck with that. Btw I just saw your sig and you've already graduated uni. Any reason you're continuing studying haha?

ismeta

HSC
Britz is awesome :) He's really happy and eager to help. I emailed him with a number of questions and he thanked me for asking them, and wished me a good weekend. (Even if you didn't have him as your lecturer I'm sure he'd be still happy to help)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
What does Tisdell and Pahor teach other than Math 1A?
Teaching appointments vary. I know Tisdell is teaching MATH3121 - Mathematical Methods and Partial Differential Equations this year but... who knows what else, and who knows for Pahor.

If you want to check, go here: http://www.timetable.unsw.edu.au/current/MATHKENS.html

The timetabling site will tell you who the staff contact - usually the lecturer - is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)